tdi ranger

yes i would or will just have to sell some of the stuff i have already

Jeff - Look in the tdi conversions sub forum on tdi club. There's a guy who did exactly what you're doing. A company makes an adapter plate to mate it up to a toyota tranny. That'll probly be your best bet.

With some bigger injectors, tune, bigger turbo, better intake manifold, and a cam (if you really feel like modding), ~180whp is easily doable. And a 180hp tdi has ~325lb/ft, so it'll scoot pretty well. No head studs or anything like that are needed.

You can take a 1.6td pump, put a tdi camplate and head on it, and then you have a mechanical pump that will run the direct injection system on a tdi. But, the electronic ones drive sooooo nice when tuned so I would suggest swapping the electronics all over. Rocketchip can make the ecu happy with no cluster or key hooked up.

good deal ill look for that one and give rocket chip a call thanks man

good deal ill look for that one and give rocket chip a call thanks man
You'll be extremely pleased. Tell Jeff (Mr. Rocketchip) that Matt Whitbread sent you. He knows me very well.

He's extremely hard to get a hold of so don't be surprised if he doesn't answer your e mail the next day. Pm me if you'd prefer his phone number.

My only problem is where I live you have to get the inspection. And they would be really scratching there head when you tell them your ranger has a diesel.

My only problem is where I live you have to get the inspection. And they would be really scratching there head when you tell them your ranger has a diesel.
Usually, as long as the engine going into the vehicle is newer than the vehicle, you're good. One if the diesel magazines did a really nice write up for swap laws from state to state. Check it out, I think it was diesel power.

Usually, as long as the engine going into the vehicle is newer than the vehicle, you're good. One if the diesel magazines did a really nice write up for swap laws from state to state. Check it out, I think it was diesel power.

Ya I might be interested in that article. I wonder what month that was.

i cant find anybody that will make an adapterfor the ford transmission. might have to find a toyota tranny for it

This has been on my next conversion list for a long time and I have and love the TDI but tI never see any cost effective TDI engines,maybe I'm looking in the wrong place ?

they are around for about 1300 for the ones ive seen. i just couldnt find any one that could make an adapter to fit it to the transmission i was told there is a shop localy but they said they wouldnt do it so i just bought a 2.3 turbo coupe engine for mine

they are around for about 1300 for the ones ive seen. i just couldnt find any one that could make an adapter to fit it to the transmission i was told there is a shop localy but they said they wouldnt do it so i just bought a 2.3 turbo coupe engine for mine

Ya but the 2.3 turbo in a ranger been done.

yes i know but its cooler than rebuilding the original motor and it needed something cause it had a broken connecting rod

I would recommend a 4bt over a Tdi mech or electronic.. especially in a pickup..i have been messing with them for years and built several mechanical tidis and have another one in the works.. they run good but it you want a more reliable source that gets almost as much mpg id do a 4bt the 4bt with al last the tdi by far and not work any where near as hard.. a 180 hp tdi is almost at the limits of streetable and will be a lot more to watch and keep up on...a 180hp 4bt is nothing and 200- is really easy and durable...only issue is the weight... What does your 2wd ranger weigh?..it may work ok for you becase that sounds relatively light but i'd still recommend a 4bt over the tdi..and I love TDIs...just my 2 cents

Thanks
deo

my ranger weighs 2700# from ford and the original motor is rated at same hoarse power as a stock tdi with less torque so a tdi would be plenty of power even in stock form. i would much rathe use a tdi small light verry good mileage and they really wake up with new injector tips for 120 bucks. if i could find an adapter i would still abandon the turbo coupe motor in a heart beat

now that i think of it could you make an adapter? if the fly wheel was machined to fit the tdi you could put the trany up to the motor with like a 3/8 plat between the two and trace it on both sides cut it out and it would bolt on. right?

Back