Techs Come In, Cam And Crank Sensor Values Reported To Pcm???

matty169

What voltages should I be seeing getting sent to the pcm from the cam and crank sensor? I am getting p0091 and p0341 INSTANTLY upon cranking. Watch the "crank and cam sensor signal missed" on the Tech 2 and the crank stays at 0, but the cam goes 1,3,5,7,9,11,13-15, and back to 1 etc. over and over. I am seeing .2-.3v being reported back to the pcm from the cam sensor, and 5.9v being reported back from the crank sensor. Being a hall effect sensor, I would think they should both be reporting the same value, and I am guessing the cam sensor is bad, but it is a week out to order. I have checked the wiring before and after the junctions in the engine compartment, and at the sensors, and pcm. It isnt bad wiring or connections. I am seeing battery voltage and ground at the correct wires at both sensors. Thanks for any help.

thanks, so I guess .2-.3 volts at the cam sensor is NO GOOD. But 5.9 volts seems high on the crank sensor, or not? Thanks

The .2-.3 voltage is no good. You are correct. You should see the same voltage range reference for the crank and cam.The 5.9 volts for the crank it not really bad. I usually see 5.4 range on vehicles for the 5 volt reference. Did you see if you was getting 5 volts at the sensor? If so you can test the circuit and computer by connecting a fused jumper wire to the signal wire back to the pcm, then connect and disconnect the fused jumper fast and for short spans. If you see on the scanner that you are getting a signal then you know its the sensor which I would guess that is bad.

Here is what I have.....

The .2-.3 voltage is no good. You are correct. You should see the same voltage range reference for the crank and cam.The 5.9 volts for the crank it not really bad. I usually see 5.4 range on vehicles for the 5 volt reference. Did you see if you was getting 5 volts at the sensor? If so you can test the circuit and computer by connecting a fused jumper wire to the signal wire back to the pcm, then connect and disconnect the fused jumper fast and for short spans. If you see on the scanner that you are getting a signal then you know its the sensor which I would guess that is bad.

battery voltage into each sensor, good grounds, and 5.9v from crank to pcm, and .2-.3v from cam to pcm. I checked all voltages at each sensor, both sides of the large harness connectors, and at the pcm. THANKS, LOOKS LIKE I NEED A CAM SENSOR,the dealer says they havent sold a cam sensor in 2 years. LUCKY ME

battery voltage into each sensor, good grounds, and 5.9v from crank to pcm, and .2-.3v from cam to pcm. I checked all voltages at each sensor, both sides of the large harness connectors, and at the pcm. THANKS, LOOKS LIKE I NEED A CAM SENSOR,the dealer says they havent sold a cam sensor in 2 years. LUCKY ME

Dont go by that dealer hasnt sold it in years stuff lol. Any part can go bad on a car/truck. That may only mean the dealer wants 8 times what aftermarker parts stores want and no one buys it from them or they are not a big diesel parts pusher. If you have the power where you need it and no open circuits in the wiring to the pcm then you have a bad sensor.

Back