Terrible Haze!

12vdzl

98 QC 12v auto. Hot, or Cold this truck will haze like you wouldn't believe. I would actually call it smoke more than haze.

Running down the road i don't see a haze at all. At idle it will literally choke a hen house. It is raw fuel. I know what burning oil looks and smells like, oil has been in the same spot (dispstick) since i changed it 6 months ago.

Mods. stock 180 (i assume it has not been changed) pump, New Era 370's ( i know this is part of the problem) #4 plate, afe2, hx40, ats ex. manifold. Fuel return line has been replaced. Fuel pressure is steady at 28 psi idle, 25 cruise, maybe 23 WOT. Fuel is being read through a tapped banjo at the pump inlet. Fuel filter has been replaced (last year), didn't make a difference.Also pump is timed @16. I will double check it as soon as i can.

I need a new sending unit as the gauge doesn't work and it's TERRIBLY RUSTY on the steel supply and return lines.

Any and all info is very much needed as i'm almost to point of selling.

Thanks

The 370's aren't the best injector out there for cleanliness, i realize that. New Era is AWESOME, the 370's on the other hand are a diff. story! Wished i would have just listened to chuch and got the 435's to begin with! LOL

I didnt have much problem at all with my New Era 370s hazing. Go ahead and see if the timing is set correctly. Or maybe its possible that one of the injectors is bad???

I had a 96 cummins that i bought the injectors (brand new) for. They hazed slightly, but not bad at all. In this truck the haze is absolutley horrible. Spits, sputters, and carries on for about 2 minutes when it's 25 degrees or colder outside. Mileage isn't as good as it should be, only about 15, mixed hiway, and short trip driving.

Would sucking air into the fuel give this type of problem ?

Thanks!

I would say that your timing sliped. Mine sliped the other day and it hazed really bad at idle and also egt's were a lot higher. 16 might be a good place to be but check it for sure and make sure thats where its at. I to have a 180 pump, make sure you have the correct ref. material for the proper mm to degree info, it sure varies a lot with diff. pumps. What mm did you set it for to achieve 16*? By my info it should have been 4.9mm or on my dial .193" Good Luck i hope it just sliped on ya. Be sure to clean the taper and gear off with brake clean or carb. cleaner and torq. to 160-180 not the 144 they say in the book! This has been what has worked for me..... Ryan

have your injectors popped... I had a set of stock 215's that would blue haze like no other. I popped them, and fuel was dribbling out of almost every one of them!

also, as stated above, check your timing. I had 370's in a mis-timed truck (12.5*!) and it would blue haze like mad also

*edit* I just read about sputtering and popping when it's cold out... DEFINATELY check your timing!!!

I would say that you have at least one injector sticking part way open take them out and have them checked but I bet that when you take them out you will find at least one that the tip is soaking wet on.

Well i've been thinking about going with different EDM'd injectors, so i may just go that route! When i pull them though i will definately get them checked.

Anyone know of someone in the south MI area that will check them!

I will also check the timing, as i already have the tools.

I didn't set the timing, the previous owner of the truck set it before i bought it.

Thanks for all the help!

From my short exper. the timing will slip very easily if the oil is not removed from the taper and the torq. not More than the spec. Believe me it will slip if you take it to the req. 144 ft lbs it calls for. I had it slip 2 times in 2 days.

I've set the timing 3 times before on my 96 and never had a problem. I always put a new wave washer on before i torque it down!

Where's the best place for the timing charts ? I've lost my fav's from the old comp.

What's the best timing for my setup with the 370's ?
What's size washer should be on the 370's ?

Sorry for the questions, and thanks for the responses!

His injectors are not out of the bowl. They are our 370's with the correct spray patteren. There was no problem with them in the other truck so unless they got dirt in them when switched, I would lean toward the timing problem.

Chuck
New Era

injector would be my first thought, also check the grid heaters. I think you will see more fuel with some 191 dv's than you will with bigger sticks. like chuck said they have the right spay pattern and should be able to move more than enough fuel for you.

since i know the injectors didn't get dirty when swapping, it all gets back to timing.

I'll time the damn pump to around 17 and call it good!

Mark thanks for your offer, but i'll kindly refuse.

Chucks for your input on this subject!!

just dont look behind you.... problem solved! hahah:hehe:

I know that's where you'll be all the time, but when i do finally stop at a red light, it's horrible, chokes me outta the truck.

I'll get the injectors out and set the timing as soon as i get caught up from work, and vacation.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

BTW Ian, what are you doing in this under-valved, over-hp'ed, over-fueled area anyway ?

Back