Test drove a 2012 F350 and was absolutely disgusted!

I'll keep driving mine. Sure it's no 1000 hp race truck, but damn it's done everything else I've wanted of it just fine. There's also a lb7 in North Carolina that couldn't pass me till 50mph with this behind me.....
40952be5.jpg

Oh and this was from NC back to Texas. Running 70-80mph most the way with an entirely stock truck and 35" mud tires.....

eed7bcbb.jpg

We have 7 F350 2012 trucks in our fleet at work. They replaced 7 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L gassers. We wanted the increased GVWR.

While this isn't really telling a whole lot...the guys filled up the Silverados every 2-1/2 days. The PSD's get filled up every day or 1-1/2 days.

I know there are no numbers to show (I don't have any)...thats just what the guys are telling me. I'll try and get some console read-outs for Average MPG's.

We have 7 F350 2012 trucks in our fleet at work. They replaced 7 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L gassers. We wanted the increased GVWR.

While this isn't really telling a whole lot...the guys filled up the Silverados every 2-1/2 days. The PSD's get filled up every day or 1-1/2 days.

I know there are no numbers to show (I don't have any)...thats just what the guys are telling me. I'll try and get some console read-outs for Average MPG's.

If they aren't getting good mileage, it's because they are trying hard not to. I spent some time in a 6.7 crew cab 4wd here a while back, 75% town and 25% highway I was gettin about 17. The guy that owns it gets about 19mpg @ 70-75mph and gets 22mpg at 55-60mph. Not bad for that size of a truck.

The ford 6.7 is a beast and will blow the doors off any duramax. Do the delets, stud it, oil cooler, and exhaust then match it with a STACKED hs performance chip.

whats the deal with the high pressure fuel pump destroying the entire injection system and ford not covering under warranty claiming fuel contamination?

id be kind of a little bit angry if they made me fork out another $10k to get my brand new $60k truck fixed

whats the deal with the high pressure fuel pump destroying the entire injection system and ford not covering under warranty claiming fuel contamination?

id be kind of a little bit angry if they made me fork out another $10k to get my brand new $60k truck fixed

Because most of the pump failures are due to contaminated fuel.
the bosch cp4.2 pump is a turd 30,000 psi doesn't leave any room for error. Any contamination "including water" will destroy the pump sending metal particles into the piezo injectors hence damaging the injectors. gm uses essentially the same setup on the lml having just as many failures. Bosch is working on a solution but it is difficult at such high pressures. Higher pressures get better fuel atomization benefit is lower emissions. Only real difference is how they are covering the failure. Gm is covering the failures no questions asked, Ford is denying because fuel is bad. But I guess gm can afford it sense the have taxpayer money

the bosch cp4.2 pump is a turd 30,000 psi doesn't leave any room for error. Any contamination "including water" will destroy the pump sending metal particles into the piezo injectors hence damaging the injectors. gm uses essentially the same setup on the lml having just as many failures. Bosch is working on a solution but it is difficult at such high pressures. Higher pressures get better fuel atomization benefit is lower emissions. Only real difference is how they are covering the failure. Gm is covering the failures no questions asked, Ford is denying because fuel is bad. But I guess gm can afford it sense the have taxpayer money

We the people provide warranty to the people.:lolly:
Ford has always been a PITA as far as warranty goes in my book. Good buissness or just the end user getting screwed. What does CompD say???

Nope.....

That is not what happens to that pump. It's a design flaw(mechanical), and a engineering flaw(designed fuel spec). VW/Audi uses the same pump and already gives an extended warranty on them. Bosch did a engineering failure analysis on these pumps and stated U.S. fuel is below the minimum standards that the pump was designed for. Google it.

Water or gasoline WILL destroy them, but that isn't what we see on 90% of the ones we have seen.

Last edited:
The ford 6.7 is a beast and will blow the doors off any duramax. Do the delets, stud it, oil cooler, and exhaust then match it with a STACKED hs performance chip.

Hey Mouthpiece,how about you read the "Rumble in the Rockies" test that was done with these trucks then report back with your findings or stay in the oraler section where you belong.

i just read that "rumble in the rockies' review very intresting read. but not bad for a new desigin from Ford tho.

I think it would be interesting to know who commissioned the rumble in the rockies test... I think that the results are probably a little skewed....

If it blows up, it blows up. I roached the Cummins I had before. I've seen several broken Duramax cranks. They all have their issues.

i just read that "rumble in the rockies' review very intresting read. but not bad for a new desigin from Ford tho.

I was by no means suggesting one truck or the other was vastly inferior to the other. The bragging rights of that test would do basicly nothing to swing me either way. It's what the test driver had to say about the handling of the two trucks with the load that I would worry about. The chevy has a very harsh ride,especially on the rear axle without a lot of weight-I have one n I put up with it. I'm sure the Ford has a better ride. To hear someone say the Ford steers/handles better.....I'd need some tall rubber boots(not saying the Ford handles bad at all). They're both nice trucks. Buy the one you find more appealing n be happy.

That "rumble in the rockies" deal was maybe skewed. Claims of a tuned Dmax, subsequent test with 2 trucks off the lot was different, fyi.
Dawg, look up "sulastic" to cure your rough rear ride on the dmax. They work excellent.
As for 6.7, we have 2. One 2011 with 122k needs hpfp, other one is 2013 only has 40k. So far so good.
As for Dmax broken cranks, I have never seen one. One company I service uses exclusively Dmax trucks and tows over 30k regularly. Every truck is tuned and not one failure of any sort since 2001 except lb7 sticks and one vane position sensor.
I have a 2005 lly with 260k and 200 hp over stock tunes with a Suncoast trans. Never touched really and beat the he77 out of it daily. Towed thru rockies and scaled 29,040 lbs. Never took tuner off level 5 and never obeying speed limit. ATS3000 turbo kit. Bone stock motor.

Last edited:
That "rumble in the rockies" deal was maybe skewed. Claims of a tuned Dmax, subsequent test with 2 trucks off the lot was different, fyi.
Dawg, look up "sulastic" to cure your rough rear ride on the dmax. They work excellent.
As for 6.7, we have 2. One 2011 with 122k needs hpfp, other one is 2013 only has 40k. So far so good.
As for Dmax broken cranks, I have never seen one. One company I service uses exclusively Dmax trucks and tows over 30k regularly. Every truck is tuned and not one failure of any sort since 2001 except lb7 sticks and one vane position sensor.
I have a 2005 lly with 260k and 200 hp over stock tunes with a Suncoast trans. Never touched really and beat the he77 out of it daily. Towed thru rockies and scaled 29,040 lbs. Never took tuner off level 5 and never obeying speed limit. ATS3000 turbo kit. Bone stock motor.

So you've tried the sulastic shackles? I can see why this test would appear to be skewed but I really don't think it was. Like I said,it's petty bragging rights and that's it. just a guess but my theory is the combination of a great flowing head, ever so slightly bigger bore n shorter stroke(I know other variables like tuning,turbo,compression,etc...can easily override any of these tiny differences) along with being geared just right for the grade/rpm helped the GM maintain it's hp slightly higher into the powerband while maintaining emissions standards. In the real world if I go head to head with a 6.7 i'd still have no clue which one to bet on. If I keep this truck I may just put air ride on the rear but it's nothing I can't live with. I'll get tarred n feathered on here for saying this but IFS is a bigger selling point to me than any drivetrain differences. Who knows...maybe Ford will build an IFS with longer A arms,coil springs, and stronger tie rods. What they got now is a super nice ride setup for a straight axle tho.

Back