Testing Block Heater...

Lil' E

Fuel Junky
Is there a way to test my block heater on my truck? I have been having a problem getting it started in extremely cold weather even when it is plugged in. I have a feeling that the block heater is bad but I was wondering if there was any way to test it. Thanks

Test it for continuity. Place the voltmeter on the 2 blades of the plug and it should have continuity through it. You should also be able to feel the heat it is generating by touching the engine.

Ok shouldn't it move the engine temp gauge also if it is working?

mine doesnt move the temp gauge...i notice when mine isnt plugged in I get white smoke but when it is plugged in there is no smoke..my smoke is just fuel but its how i Know its working...the continuity test is the best way to tell.

Ok I know that there is no difference in starting if its plugged in or not. It will just crank, then when it starts, it will run for a little bit then die. When I crank again it does the same thing. Until it finally gets the oil warm enough to hit on all 8. I know that my glow plugs are getting weak they have 160xxx on them, just haven't bought new ones to replace them yet. I only have 3 more months left in school so Im going to hold off a little while longer on them.

You should hear the water cracking in there, And yes, the temp gauge will move, when the truck gets running.

Did you check the cord? Because mine was doing the samething but i checked my cord and for some reason the cord was bad, but it looked ok...

If continuity test checks out, check your outlet and make sure it didn't reset.

My outlet is fine that was the first thing I checked. I have a GFI that I plug my cord into and it is a heavy duty construction cord that I have it plugged into. I thought that maybe the cord that I used for a couple days had a short in it. It worked fine for a couple days then, it just stopped working. I will have to check the cord tomorrow and I will let you guys know what I find out.

So I tested my cord running to the block heater and it is running at 119 V AC. So I bought a new heating element installed it and its still not helping. Anybody have any ideas or maybe I just bought a junk heating element?

If you want a new element and cord, i got mine from the international dealer the other day for 40 bucks! which is ~$40 cheaper than ford for that set up, it could be even more at ford than that....

Well I just bought a new element for it today, and my cord doesn't seem to be bad since it is running 119 V through it. I am hoping that it just hasn't caught up yet to get it warmed up. I don't know what else it could be. It frustrates me it has been my batteries last year and I got them replaced this year and now this. I guess I am going to have to get glow plugs this year too. I was hoping to get by for now with the ones in now. Ill be glad when I cna get a vehicle to be reliable in the winter time. :soap:

Well I hopefully figured out my problem. I had a prong broke off on the plug inside of it. It was still contacting the wire somewhat and I wiggled it and heard it clicking against the other piece that was hooked up to the wire.

Back