The first Deranged "OH CHIT, I am gonna die" moment.

Dalpilot

Joe Nobody!
Well everyone has that moment where you realize

A: My heart rate just found 400BPM,
B: I am a complete retard, and
C: Please god make it stop.

My first one in the Ranger was today. I was playing with the brakes, as the 3rd and different master cylinder seems to be leaking out the rear of the bore. I took the whole deal off to look at it, and try to figure it out, and was about 99% finished buttoning up, when my buddy Jeff, the Ford tech stops by to program the new PCM. We get that done and decide to take it for a quick spin.....99% done.....We take it out on the street, and its a beast, and only running on stock f-250 6.0 programming, yet it still gets sideways, and pins you to the seat.....99%. We turn a corner onto a straight stretch with no houses for quite a while with a stop sign at the end, then a school zone after the stop. 99% I get on it hard, and it spins through first and second, then grabs pretty good in third, and we start accelerating pretty damned fast. 99% I get out of it about 55 mph, and hit the brakes.......:bang:doh: the 1% was the cotter pin that holds the brake lever to the pedal.......Yes, I know I am an idiot! I told Jeff, oh chit, no brakes, and he laughs, till he realizes I am serious. We were still a lOOOOONG way from the stop, but getting there at 45MPH. I grabbed the lever,a nd pulled it to 1st gear, and thank god it went right to 1st and basically skidded to about 15 MPH, then started to slow fast. I popped it into nuetral and coasted to about 5 mph, and tsince it was a slight down hill, I popped it into reverse, and it slowed, then stopped. Right to park. When I could stand, I got out, and saw the cotter pin sitting on the floorboard. I quickly put it back in, and we decided we had had enough for the day. LOL Here is a quick video just after. You can hear jeff ask, "GOt brakes" as we approach the stop.

I will always, complete 100% before I get distracted again. Maybe a checklist like the airplane for my sorry ass.

Quick little 1st and second hit.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G320N9qXIo[/MEDIA]

Glad you made it out safe. That could have been a lot worse. That thing sounds damn mean and I can't wait to see it hit the water box for a nice burnout.

As Bill Cosby used to say...... first you say it, then you do it LOL

Sounds more like a Toyota that a Ford :D

Its cool to see you're finally getting some wheel time, keep the vids coming

I really don't need to be driving it back there any more. Its very irresponsible of me, and I know better. I don't think I will be doing that again.

The best part of this for me is that you're a pilot, you are used to, in fact trained to, do pre-flight checks. LMAO

Back