The Religion Thread

SmokeShow

Any of you DFC members checked it out over in the Politics section of the website?

I know I've seen dually in there... didn't know if any other Christians from DFC were willing to put their plug in? Poor Charles and [Lucky] Jeff are surely convinced religion is a fairy tale for weak minded people. Amazing how sure of that stance they truly are. Though I guess they are just as amazed at our stance as well. Troubling.

I don't think I've ever come face to face with someone so profoundly against the notion that there is God, THE creator. Kinda take aback by it actually.

C-ya

I have come face to face with it in the shape of a angry homeless man.(ministry work)Thats the thing i dont get.When you loose it all and cant get no lower.Why not give it a try?Anyway,I will be going to church with my new friend at the shelter to see how his church is.Funny thing about the thread, God is the father of free choice.Sometimes its hard to wrap my mind around the fact God gave all people the choice to worship him or not.

The enemies biggest accomplishment is too make man believe that god does not exist.

first its not religion but rather true spirituality (fellowship with Jesus)

well to me it takes more faith to believe all the theory's. Big bang = something beautiful and self sustaining out of nothing. Darwin= that everything we know came from a primordial soup and wasn't intelligently designed even then GOD was required to ask the first cell that everything "evolved" from to LIVE. Have a listen here : http://oldpathsermons.com/admin/music/Gods3deadlines(fitsonCD).mp3

There's plenty of self-professed atheists around, but everyone believes in something with their measure of faith... and someone with an experience always trumps an adversary with an argument!

Religion might be the elixir of the weak-minded, but a relationship with Jesus Christ is entirely different and simple enough for a child to understand.

There's plenty of self-professed atheists around, but everyone believes in something with their measure of faith... and someone with an experience always trumps an adversary with an argument!

Religion might be the elixir of the weak-minded, but a relationship with Jesus Christ is entirely different and simple enough for a child to understand.

And therein lies the power in the message.

If you have one guy saying the waves of the ocean are caused by all the millions and millions of fish in the sea waving their tales back and forth all the time that they are swimming, and then on the other hand you've got an Astro-physicist perfectly describing the motivating forces behind the tides, gravity, the orbit of the moon with all the supporting geometry and gravitational equations, but there's an existing wive's-tale that the swimming fish make the waves, it's going to take a long, long time for anyone to accept the truth that was being handed directly to them because the message was simply much more complex.

If you add on top of this the fact that included in the wive's-tale is a clause about burning in the most unimaginable torment for all of eternity if you don't believe the fish make the waves, then you've got a sure-fire recipe for successful story retention, the likes of which no amount of truth, explanation and observation can even phase...

It doesn't get any simpler than someone waving their hand and birds, trees, people, horses.... so on and so forth just going "poof" into existence.

How nice.

Btw, I'm no atheist. But I'm no DA either.

God is not in the "poofing" business, he is in the miracle working and prayer ansewering!

God is not in the "poofing" business, he is in the miracle working and prayer ansewering!

I had to choose a verb. I chose poof...

Regardless of what you call it, your world explanation requires that a man appears from thin air in one immediate event. You go from no man, to a full grown, fully developed human being instantly.

On the other hand the theory of evolution simply involves species being born and that not all offspring be exactly the same. As the differences between children are the very changes that power evolution. If you've ever seen a family where all the children weren't exactly the same, then you've watched it in action. I suppose this describes all human families does it not?

Now which seems more practical?

Omnipotent being producing man, exactly as we see him today from thin air out of sheer divinity, or the changing of man over time, generation to generation as we still see today, and as the fossil record confirms?

Honestly.

I had to choose a verb. I chose poof...

Regardless of what you call it, your world explanation requires that a man appears from thin air in one immediate event. You go from no man, to a full grown, fully developed human being instantly.

On the other hand the theory of evolution simply involves species being born and that not all offspring be exactly the same. As the differences between children are the very changes that power evolution. If you've ever seen a family where all the children weren't exactly the same, then you've watched it in action. I suppose this describes all human families does it not?

Now which seems more practical?

Omnipotent being producing man, exactly as we see him today from thin air out of sheer divinity, or the changing of man over time, generation to generation as we still see today, and as the fossil record confirms?

Honestly.

This is something that is often said by people who do not have a full idea of the impact of the book of Genesis. The notion that the world was created in 7 "days" is a very common misconception. In translation from Hebrew the word most people know as "day" is more accuarately translated as age. This completely changes the arguement against creation. (Edit, I want to make clear that I'm not denying or agreeing with Evolution, God can do whatever he wants.)

Also look at who wrote the book. Moses was a man who never had any type of scientific knowledge at all and wrote book about how the world began. Strangely enough as cosmology and fossel records progress, they are showing that the universe and life on earth progressed in the order described in Genesis.

So tell me this how does a man from a few thousand years ago tell the human race the order in which everything was made without some kind of devine knowledge.

Just something to think about.

Poor Charles and [Lucky] Jeff are surely convinced religion is a fairy tale for weak minded people. Amazing how sure of that stance they truly are. Though I guess they are just as amazed at our stance as well. Troubling.

C-ya

Don't get the faith and religion mixed up.. I'd love for someone to be able to prove to me that there is a better place that we go to after death. However, if I had to be religious my entire life to get to that greater place? No thanks, you can keep it.

Don't get the faith and religion mixed up.. I'd love for someone to be able to prove to me that there is a better place that we go to after death. However, if I had to be religious my entire life to get to that greater place? No thanks, you can keep it.

That's the great thing, all you have to do is truely believe...

This is something that is often said by people who do not have a full idea of the impact of the book of Genesis. The notion that the world was created in 7 "days" is a very common misconception. In translation from Hebrew the word most people know as "day" is more accuarately translated as age. This completely changes the arguement against creation. (Edit, I want to make clear that I'm not denying or agreeing with Evolution, God can do whatever he wants.)

Also look at who wrote the book. Moses was a man who never had any type of scientific knowledge at all and wrote book about how the world began. Strangely enough as cosmology and fossel records progress, they are showing that the universe and life on earth progressed in the order described in Genesis.

So tell me this how does a man from a few thousand years ago tell the human race the order in which everything was made without some kind of devine knowledge.

Just something to think about.

It's very simple. The things described to have been created are precisely the things that man has come in contact with.

I don't recall Moses mentioning anything about amoeba, bacteria, tyrannosaurus Rex, neanderthal man or anything else not on the earth at the time.

The creation only lists off a world precisely as we see it today. And if we didn't understand that the world we see today evolved from a much, much simpler world, and that the start of life here actually involved single celled organisms.... and that only millions and millions of years later did we begin to see anything even remotely similar to the creatures we see mentioned to have been created in the beginning, then we could go along with the whole creationism thing Moses put forth.

There was nothing divine about it. The man listed off the things he saw around him, in precisely the same state he saw them. Birds, trees, oceans, so on and so forth. He didn't mention anything outside the knowledge base of man at the time. Because he was just a man...

That's the great thing, all you have to do is truely believe...

And how can you truly believe in something that's incorrect exactly?

What seems simple for you is only simple because you don't know how your world actually works. Because of this you get to choose what you want to "believe" whereas the rest of us can't choose what we know to be wrong. Not honestly. Sure we can pretend, go to church, be nice, so on and so forth.

But you're saying that all you have to do is believe, and it's so simple is no different than me telling you to believe in Santa.

Not so easy is it?

Back