Thinking about racing at truck fest with just sleeves. bad idea??

OBXdieselAddict

Title pretty much says it all. I know there are plenty of threads on what all should be done to keep your front end together but I'd like to try running my truck at Piedmont Oct. 12. Budget wont allow for much before then though. What do you all think? Am I an idiot for trying to launch with only sleeves??:stab:

Make sure the bars are dropped the whole way. You could also strap the centerlink, though I'm hesitant to recommend that on the strip, it works on the sled track.

Drop those T bars till the CV's are level or maybe slightly negative. Some smaller tires would help you more than anything. Start with soft launches. If you launch too hard it will buck everywhere lol then break something.

Sleeves won't help the center link rolling and this is what you need to be worried about.

Sleeves and lower the T-Bars and go have fun. Centerlink isn't going to break, but tie-rods sure will without sleeves. I have launched with just sleeves 100's of times without any issues. Install the sleeves and go get on the track.

Sleeves and lower the T-Bars and go have fun. Centerlink isn't going to break, but tie-rods sure will without sleeves. I have launched with just sleeves 100's of times without any issues. Install the sleeves and go get on the track.

Sounds good thanks for the reply Rob.

P.S. I am in love with Max'd Out thats one bad rig man. Some day maybe I will have a platform that can support a few of your tunes :charger: haha

Sleeves won't help the center link rolling and this is what you need to be worried about.

I do need to work on getting a center link under there though I know. Hopefully I will be ok taking it easy on the launch's this one time. I am pretty excited this will be my first time putting her on the track

I gave in and decided to go gmax6/airdog 165/drop the front end so I can run.. so not only will I be towing the 5th wheel ill be running the drags for the first time. My buddy is coming up to do the work the first week of Oct and install my sleeves and braces. Just hope I don't break anything lol. If you want him to do your sleeves let me know.

look into DHD brace its like 100 bucks goes on the stock center link and works great.

Just make sure your front end parts are in good condition if you're just going to run sleeves. I'd also make/buy some spring clamps for the rear leafs.

Last edited:
Yea I think I might have to grab some also then. Mark sounds good hopefully we both don't come home on trailers lol I'm excited though

Do I need spring clamps with HD ladder bars? (my ladder bars are overkill as is) Also is a center link brace worth installing, ill be leaving at 10lbs or less and I will have the kryptonite sleeves and braces, dropping the front end too. Im spending a few grand between the trans/lift pump/front end in the next week or so so anything I don't need right now ill do later.

Ended up ordering the allseason brace (since I wont be lifting my truck) and moog pitman/idler arms. Have the cognito braces brand new in the package if anyone wants them $210.

Piedmont Dragway is 1/8 mile, but it still is a lot of fun. Aaron and Lee put on a heck of a show, a lot of trucks show up.

Back