Thinking of pulling

machineman

There is a truck pull at the local fair grounds on July 13th. My truck is bone stock. I have never pulled before so I don't know what I am doing! Any tips or anything you can pass along would be great. I don't even know how far this old rig would/could/will pull! Just doing it to try it out, it's local and to have some fun.

Would be nice to know what truck you have.

Just don't get your hopes up

from phone

If nothing else find out the rules beforehand and if allowed suspension stops and maybe making some traction bars quick would benefit you. If you just want to try it just to see what the old girl can do hook it up and have fun.

Here are the rules:

Work Stock 4x4 Diesel Class
All turbos will be bushed at tech.
- Must have upward exiting exhaust.
- U-joint shields are not required for this class.
- Must have a stock transmission and transfer case.
- OEM/stock housing, 2.55 or under or a stock replacement charger
- Billet or clipped wheels are allowed (batmowheels are allowed)
- Single pump, single tire truck
- Programmers and ladder bars are allowed
- NO hanging weight in this class- any added weight must be placed
in the bed and secured.
- No clevis
- Receiver pins only NO bolts
- 1” rear suspension travel required

The only thing I can see that I would need to make is a pulling hitch. Do you think I could get an elbow that will fit the stock tail pipe to shoot the exhaust up?

Best thing your going to be able to do for yourself is build a set of suspension stops and a set of traction bars. Get it loaded up to class weight (most WS classes are 8500) and just bolt a piece of steel on the frame so it will hit the rear axle when it drops an inch.

If your just looking to go out and have some fun and aren't worried about doing well, than go for it!! Based on what the rules read it sounds like you might have a good amount of stuff competition with purpose built 2.5 class trucks that are probably going to stomp your bone stock truck. Everyone gets their start somewhere... Don't be mad when you get "hooked" though and wanna start spending some big boy money to compete down the line. That happened to me about 4 years ago with my bone stock '98...

Give it he!!. I think they are running the farm stock class also, i.e. no traction bars, bump stops or anything else so you might have a decent shot. I tried getting the workstock class to use these rules when we had the rules meeting for MVP but the duramax boys wouldn't have it lol. Part of the reason I bumped up to 2.5....didn't want to go out there with a built to the gills ws truck and push first timers like yourself away. I'd try 4low, start out in 1st and when it winds out shift to 2nd, then 3rd if you can swing it. Get yourself a manual lockup switch too. Makes a world of difference! Have fun!

Run 2nd gear, I doubt you'll have the nut for 3rd. Build some sled stops, seriously. If you don't want to build a hitch check out pullingproducts.com, real nice hitch. Suspension stops are nice, you can make cheap adjustable ones with a bolt, nut, and some pipe.

Give it he!!. I think they are running the farm stock class also, i.e. no traction bars, bump stops or anything else so you might have a decent shot. I tried getting the workstock class to use these rules when we had the rules meeting for MVP but the duramax boys wouldn't have it lol. Part of the reason I bumped up to 2.5....didn't want to go out there with a built to the gills ws truck and push first timers like yourself away. I'd try 4low, start out in 1st and when it winds out shift to 2nd, then 3rd if you can swing it. Get yourself a manual lockup switch too. Makes a world of difference! Have fun!

Yes, there is a farm stock class. After rereading it, I definitely think that would be the class for me.

Do it! I pulled for my first time in our 2.5 class last night, i think there were 30 trucks, and i was one of maybe 2 or 3 that wasn't hanging weights, and didn't have supsension stops or traction bars. I pulled in 4 low, 2nd gear(auto) and just went with it. I almost dropped it in drive to grab 3rd, but my goal was to not break, so i just let her go. Got to the end and and started to feel a hop so i let out. Coulda kept going but i had nothing to prove.

Was an awesome feeling though being able to drive the truck off the track and back onto the trailer. Plus i didn't get last. Now to load her back up with tools/supplies for work tomorrow!

Should I run standard air pressure in the tires and should I put the trans in tow/haul mode, OD off or just leave it alone?

Thanks for all the tips so far. I will have to stop by the local muffle shop and see if they can make a turn up for the end of my exhaust pipe. Other than that, I don't think I will have much money in this venture. At least not yet. I have a feeling this could seriously impact the pocket book if I enjoy it and get "hooked"!

Back