Those of you with longer control arms

When droping the front end 3" or more, would it be necessary to make one pair a different length to maintain the drive shaft angle?

Not with a 3 inch lift. You want to make both uppers and lowers 1/2" longer eye to eye (5/8 at the most) to keep your full adjustment for your caster.

If you want I can post my low cost control arm build pictures

Please do.

Not with a 3 inch lift. You want to make both uppers and lowers 1/2" longer eye to eye (5/8 at the most) to keep your full adjustment for your caster.

So I can just make the new ones half an inch longer than the stock ones and be done with it. No other issues than the trac bar with 1/2" longer arms?

Ok, Im thinking about using DOM .250" wall tubing. Im not sure on the outside diameter though. I see some that use 1.5" OD with a piece of 2" OD over it in the middle for strength. I might go for the Ballistic joints also.

Just notice, ballistic joints are not 100% perfect fit, one type is to small (you need to shims) and second size is too big (machining needed)

Just notice, ballistic joints are not 100% perfect fit, one type is to small (you need to shims) and second size is too big (machining needed)

Machining is not a problem , but what would be a better alternative?

I would use Ballistic joints , but the Polyperformance joins are also good

I would use Ballistic joints , but the Polyperformance joins are also good

What are the joints you used in your arms? I just saw on Ballistics site they want 20$ per foot for DOM tubing. Seems High

What are the joints you used in your arms? I just saw on Ballistics site they want 20$ per foot for DOM tubing. Seems High

Like I mention before, my set is low budjet and the joints/bushings are from 2008 Ram stock control arms LOL

A friend of mine built 2" longer control arms to fit 37's with just a leveling coil.. No rubbing, but that's with a "pre runner" style bumper, and he ditched the sway bar. Although he said the truck still handled just fine, and it tracked very well... He used Teraflex joints with 2" OD tubing. Can't remember ID

I ordered a 21' length of 2"ODx .250" wall DOM tubing today. Im hoping it will be enough to make the control arms and a set of traction bars. I need to order the ballistic joints. Im going to order 4 of the 2.63 heavy duty joints. Do I need the 9/16 or the 5/8 bolt hole? I know they arent an exact fit but I can make them work.

control arms

I ordered a 21' length of 2"ODx .250" wall DOM tubing today. Im hoping it will be enough to make the control arms and a set of traction bars. I need to order the ballistic joints. Im going to order 4 of the 2.63 heavy duty joints. Do I need the 9/16 or the 5/8 bolt hole? I know they arent an exact fit but I can make them work.

You will need 4- 2.375 with 9/16" hole for the top arms and 4- 2.63 with 5/8"Ballistic joints for the bottom arms . If you use these they are a direct fit as I have made several sets and have never had to machine or shim.Here is a picture of the current set I am running on my truck I put a slight bend in the bottom arm so it has a offset to the inside so the tire doesn't rub at full turn .
102_1306.jpg

102_1305.jpg

control arms

Just to let you know that the center part of the Ballistic joint that you'll weld to is only 1.875 wide so 2" dom is too wide so you will have to sleeve it down with some 1.5" dom . If you look closely at my pictures you can see that my bottom arm is sleeved down on the ends with 1.5" so I can weld them to the center part of the joint .

I had a set of Mitchells arms they were stout and a super product! I was going to do a write up but I sold the truck soon after :(.
Brandon

I had a set of Mitchells arms they were stout and a super product! I was going to do a write up but I sold the truck soon after :(.
Brandon

Sold the truck darn I wanted to see those arms on that truck .

Back