thoughts on bumping up compression

picture.php

What do you get when you add bull haulers to a Duramax with cloth interior?

A Maxi-pad with wings!
:doh:

well yeah naw ****! but who cares?
i just get tired of all the smart ass comments about the stacks!! so what their big and if you guys really wanna push it,the dodge guys are a hell of a lot worse about stack size. at least they look some what right!

fyi their bull haulers. not stright stacks

Damn them some ugly stacks........

Im not fond of his stacks either, but by the looks of your rig in your avator... you should keep quiet.:poke:

just why should i stay quiet??? i havent seen many trucks make a clean 550-600hp have you? on a single charger. . . just saying!

Work Stock Diesel Trucks
Points Driver Vehicle Name
1045 Scott Willoughby Daddy's Money ll
915 Phillip Irvin Dual Wheel Phil
907 Jacob Fryman Big Nasty
828 Dwayne Allen ll Dirtty Maxx-------me!

thats out of 30 trucks,was in the top 5 every weekend last season! so talk all you want honey,dont make no god DaMn differnce to me!
bluegrasspulling.com

just why should i stay quiet??? i havent seen many trucks make a clean 550-600hp have you? on a single charger. . . just saying!

Work Stock Diesel Trucks

thats out of 30 trucks,was in the top 5 every weekend last season! so talk all you want honey,dont make no god DaMn differnce to me!
bluegrasspulling.com

You just called another guy "honey??" On a diesel board? With stacks like that??

Holy Crap!
ChrisLOL

Work Stock Diesel Trucks

bluegrasspulling.com

:doh::doh: I quoted someone else, cause im pretty sure you dont have a truck in your avatar oh quick one. Dont call call me honey.. and i could care less about workstock pulling, im way past that stage...

I've been finding the compression side of the rod bearings showing some wear, could be some greed with the timing to however.

Where on the rod journal bearings? (in view of your RPMs ;))
Doubt an oiling issue...

Damn them some ugly stacks........

On the other hand, the stacks in your avatar are quite fetching! :D

honey,dont make no god **** differnce to me!
bluegrasspulling.com

:badidea: Blasphemer! :kick:

Rumor mill says there is a high compression (> 20:1) 5.9 with three chargers that made big hp on the engine dyno recently. 180 psi boost

Damn...like to hear some more about that, kinda a short list of those running on a engine dyno. Was surprised to see that Bosch build that Schied did at ~12.5.1

Where on the rod journal bearings? (in view of your RPMs ;))
Doubt an oiling issue...

I'm calling it the compression or combustion side, it centers out on the combustion stroke. A journal designed to live at ~600 ft/lbs has to be hating life at 2000+. Oil pressure is logged and has never faltered. Just don't think its enough.

Its not RPMs, the other side of the bearing looks like new, not even the slightest mark. Running the steel pistons and with the couple of times I seen almost 6K tuning the rev limiter it was pretty surprising.

I'm calling it the compression or combustion side, it centers out on the combustion stroke. A journal designed to live at ~600 ft/lbs has to be hating life at 2000+. Oil pressure is logged and has never faltered. Just don't think its enough.

Its not RPMs, the other side of the bearing looks like new, not even the slightest mark. Running the steel pistons and with the couple of times I seen almost 6K tuning the rev limiter it was pretty surprising.

I've seen wear in the same area. I don't think it's an oil pressure or volume issue. At least on mine there wasn't any sign of heat or contact issues, just pressure. The pressure seemed to be spread pretty evenly across the bearing. A couple of the bearings had lost some of their crush. That was with the stock bearings. I'm running a different bearing now and had them coated by PolyDyn. We'll see if that makes a difference. I agree with a bearing and journal that was designed for 600ft/lbs having a hard life at 2000+. I'm pulling 3600 rpm through the lights. I do know that the setup I was running was causing to much cylinder pressure.

Paul

I've seen wear in the same area. I don't think it's an oil pressure or volume issue. At least on mine there wasn't any sign of heat or contact issues, just pressure. The pressure seemed to be spread pretty evenly across the bearing. A couple of the bearings had lost some of their crush. That was with the stock bearings. I'm running a different bearing now and had them coated by PolyDyn. We'll see if that makes a difference. I agree with a bearing and journal that was designed for 600ft/lbs having a hard life at 2000+. I'm pulling 3600 rpm through the lights. I do know that the setup I was running was causing to much cylinder pressure.

Paul

Paul.
I've been thinking about Swains coated bearings. Do you have to have additional clearance to run them or are they a stock replacement.

Doesn't the oil create an additional "surface"? If you apply pressure to that oilly surface, it goes away, evenly. That's why I was thinking you'd need more oil pressure to maintain a thicker surface.

Doesn't the oil create an additional "surface"? If you apply pressure to that oilly surface, it goes away, evenly. That's why I was thinking you'd need more oil pressure to maintain a thicker surface.

I don't know, but I think at the pressure levels between the bushing/bearing and the steel moving parts inside an engine, the oil viscosity and chemical make-up has more effect on film thickness than engine oil pressure.

Paul.
I've been thinking about Swains coated bearings. Do you have to have additional clearance to run them or are they a stock replacement.

Ron, I had the crank polished to get to the minimum Cummins rod clearance spec. Thats what I did. We'll see how it turns out. If the coating turns out to not be as durable as I hope, then I will end up with a large amount of clearance. The coating is about .0015 thick, which reduces the diameter by about .003 (duh!). I would not reduce the clearance below the minimum. The clearance is designed to ensure oil flow across the bearing to keep it cool. Paying attention to rod side clearance is also important, though the coating will not effect that. If you are going with aftermarket rods (I believe I saw that you were), make sure that the side clearance is not to tight.

So far I have a little over 10,000 miles (and ~100 1/4 mile passes) on the engine, with the oil changed every 3,000 miles. I sent oil samples to blackstone, and so far there has not been any indication of the coating in the oil. The engine has both coated pistons and bearings (rod and main).

Paul

After a minimum level of supply pressure, hydrodynamic wedge's film strength is mostly a function of oil's base stock quality.
VI is important, as well as system pressure (too much :badidea:)
Both should be chosen in respect to clearances.

Bearing coatings are excellent insurance for film degradation (not to mention dry-starts or starvation).

Paul, on your de-crushed shells was there any evidence of pinch across the parting lines?

Paul, on your de-crushed shells was there any evidence of pinch across the parting lines?

Not that I remember. I replaced the rods with billet, so I wasn't to concerned. The bearings were crushed wider. They looked like classic gasser detonation destroyed bearings, except worse...

Paul

Back