thrown rod what to do now

smokjunky

Just the new guy
hope this is the right section. My buddy has a 03 duramax that he bought like 4 months ago.driving to the next town over which is like 3hrs away haha.he said he heard a noise seen white smoke and limped to the side of the road.had it towed home for 300 and the repair shop told him it will be like 7 grand for a used engine or like 9 to 10 for a new one.hes not on any forums so i told him i would try to help him out.so what options does he have part the truck out because he doesnt want to do the work him self and doesnt want to pay that much for the shop to do it lmfao.

Thanks in-advance Rob

sure it threw a rod? i'd suspect headgaskets or injector cups first, or maybe a bent rod due to tune/hydrolock.

$7k seems like a lot for a used motor. i hope that includes r&r. even then, if a motor is $3500, how many hours are they saying it takes to r&r?

last but not least, it ain't an LLY if it's an 03. :p

Lmao my bad maybe a mod can move haha.yeah he said there was oil on tue gtound and the shop said it had a cracked block

Im goin go taje some pics of the truck to night if maybe u guys can help him with a sell price for it

I want to ask what town he was headed to... I drove to Great Falls in April, from Circle, MT to Great Falls on 200, there isn't ****, you aren't joking. 370 miles of nothing

that whole area is in my route, from the high line (hwy 2) down to Riverton and Great Falls/Helena to Dickinson/Minot in a round square zig zag kinda way

He was headed to missoula with his wife.he said he had lije 20 more miles to go and he would have been there

10 or 11.he said he would like to sell for like 9 though.is that a fair price for it?

the truck is so clean no ding scratches or even rust.the upholstery is immaculate.it has a rhinoed bed and a ball for a fith wheel.
i dont want to get bashed on the for sale threads so i was just goin ask to see what he can get haha.
Thanks again

IMG_1046_zpsada21cd1.jpg

IMG_1047_zpsec5f75ce.jpg

IMG_1048_zpsa244e790.jpg

IMG_1049_zps8dfb5464.jpg

IMG_1045_zps4c11ad0e.jpg

If he has full coverage insurance he might be able to file a claim.

Sent from my fphone

Yeah we tryed to rell him to do tye lemon law hes only had it for like a month or a month and a half when it happened

Every States lemon laws are different but in Montana for the vehicle to qualify it must be no more than 2 years old and less than 18,000 miles

10k is a fair price on a new one we just did an lb7 with new gm long block with a new pump it was 10,600 gm engines do come with new injectors, but no pump. The one we did had 244,xxx on it similar situation guy just bought it off the internet drove it 1500 miles started knocking, tore it down just to far gone to save. When I was looking most decent used engines were in the 4500 range 30 day warranty 8200 for new long block valve covers to oil pan 3 year 100,000 mile warranty

What kind of noise?

If he threw a rod, he was pushing some pretty serious power. I'd be willing to bet an injector hung open.

Back