Time for some life in this forum :-)

Very NICE!!!! If I ever get a TDI, I know who I'm calling for some fancy stuff!

-French

Thanks for the compliments guys :Cheer:. Just trying to make stuff go faster!

Some more fun stuff from yesterday and today. Still working on the turbo install.

Cobalt SS exhaust
GEDC0654.jpg

GEDC0655.jpg

GEDC0657.jpg

GEDC0656.jpg

Big turbo header for a tdi
GEDC0659.jpg

Snug as a bug in a rug
GEDC0661.jpg

GEDC0668.jpg

Stainless V band ring welded to turbine housing. Crown Alloys Royal 11-10 rod used.
GEDC0666.jpg

GEDC0662.jpg

Last edited:
Finished up the car that got the header, but I was in the zone working and forgot to snap pics of anything in the car :doh:

Here's the couple I did snag

3" to 2.5" downpipe
GEDC0669.jpg

GEDC0682.jpg

Dual tip was made out of a 2.5" 180* bend. The tip was also tucked up 1/2" or so after the pic.
SSPX0111.jpg

cup walking???

i don't think so, cup walking usally has a different look to it. looks free hand to me. i went to welding school when i was 18 in the navy. i don't do it for a living anymore, but i have to admit it kept food on the table more than a few times.
nice looking fab work.

Cuts...

Did you use a cold saw for the cuts? If so what speed? They look perfect...

cup walking???
Nope, all freehand drop by drop. Butt welds on the header pipes are the only ones I lay wire weld. I still need to work on that more though.....

Did you use a cold saw for the cuts? If so what speed? They look perfect...
Thanks! But nope, just a very old and beat up vertical bandsaw with a 12" disc sander to clean it up.

Awesome fab work! Or would it be w-e-r-k since it's mostly VW stuff? LOL
Haha, something like that. I'll work on anything to pay the bills; I just happen to be the only guy in a 500+ mile radius that tunes up tdi's so that keeps me very busy. I just started on a very fun non vw project today actually; I present.....

The log splitter from hell! Muahhahahhaha :rockwoot:
GEDC0695.jpg

6"x40" ram, 18hp flat twin briggs, 24gpm 2 stage pump, and about 1000lbs of steel haha. It's going to have a log lift and at least a 4 way wedge on the end. It will be a horizontal only trailer unit when all done. There's a 3500lb torsion axle hiding on the other side of the beam. I overbuild the fook out of everything so this should fit in well :evil

Last edited:
6"x40" ram, 18hp flat twin briggs, 24gpm 2 stage pump, and about 1000lbs of steel haha. It's going to have a log lift and at least a 4 way wedge on the end. It will be a horizontal only trailer unit when all done. There's a 3500lb torsion axle hiding on the other side of the beam. I overbuild the fook out of everything so this should fit in well

Sounds like a plan!!! Here's one that Dad and I built up a few years ago. It's got an 8-way split, hydraulic log lift, and the 6-way wedges are on another hydraulic cylinder so you can raise and lower to center in the log if you want.

Not the best pics, but these few might give you some ideas.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

--Eric

the cobalt exh looks fused..are ya back purging for strength?

the cup walking question wasnt if you were doing it as much as why arent you. i do aeseptic food grade welding and we purge and cup walk almost everything now..its the ''new'' standard for food plants i think..but it looks really cool on stacks and exhaust

yer stuff looks real good tho...most of what ya see on these truck forums looks like someone blew thier nose on it

gary

the cobalt exh looks fused..are ya back purging for strength?

the cup walking question wasnt if you were doing it as much as why arent you. i do aeseptic food grade welding and we purge and cup walk almost everything now..its the ''new'' standard for food plants i think..but it looks really cool on stacks and exhaust

yer stuff looks real good tho...most of what ya see on these truck forums looks like someone blew thier nose on it

gary
Yup, I fusion weld all butt joints in .065" 304SS tube. Looks better, faster to weld, and more than strong enough for exhaust tubing. Oh yeah, it's all back purged.

I've never actually had "formal" tig welding instruction from a professional so I've never seen the cup walking technique demonstrated. I took an advanced tig welding class but the teacher was an absolute douche who knew nothing but stick welding. The class was a waste of money to say the least.

Would you care to explain how it's done? I'm always up for learning new things. :thankyou2:

Sounds like a plan!!! Here's one that Dad and I built up a few years ago. It's got an 8-way split, hydraulic log lift, and the 6-way wedges are on another hydraulic cylinder so you can raise and lower to center in the log if you want.

Not the best pics, but these few might give you some ideas.

--Eric
Holy crap! That makes what I'm doing look like a toothpick maker. Where in the hell do you cut logs that big haha? The biggest I think I've ever cut around here is about 30".

Looks good... you can avoid cratering by swirling your tungsten out of the puddle. :Cheer:
I normally do, but I apparently slipped on the habit there. If I remember right, that was the last weld of the project done at about 4am after a 16 hour day and a 6 pack haha. I think "zombie" was a good description of the mindset at that point LOL.

Had a some time to work on the splitter over the weekend and made some good progress. Oil tank, fuel tank, and battery tray are getting bent up tomorrow. Oil tank will be a steel 25 gal triangle to match the frame on the front of the frame and fuel tank will be 10 gal aluminum.

GEDC0702.jpg

GEDC0701.jpg

Last edited:
difficult to explain...but

WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts - Powered by vBulletin

lotta good tig info on there about it ...if i git a minute ill give it a shot explainin it
Forgive newbie TIG welder here, but I thought cup-walking was achieved by having constant contact between the alumina nozzle and the metal being welding then walking the cup down the weld in a zigzag pattern? It kinda results in an SSSSSSSSSSS pattern.

Example:

Walking the cup tig welding by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

Back