time has come...its gotta go

cummin95

Concrete King/Welder
Ok so i have doing the best i can and im over the nv5600. My question is can anybody help me in the right direction for deciding for sure on a tranny as of right now the trucjk is driven alot on the street but dont plan for that to stay that way. So whats the best tranny for the money and to drive as a fun street/strip toy thats still dependable. I really was set on the manual vb but was told it may be a little much for alot of street driving.

47 rh manual vb
48re manual vb
48re built

I just went mvb from auto. It is not bad at all except more of a pain going from park or reverse to 1st instead of using drive.

I'd go with a manual vb if it's a toy....

The only time I really hated mine is when I got stuck in Los Angeles traffic on a weekend, and had to shift about 500 times in my 30 mile drive home.

You could also try a regular built up 47rh with (2) toggle switches, one for lock-up and one for overdrive. That setup would be more street friendly since the tranny will shift up and down like a normal automatic in 1st through 3rd gears. And then on the highway you can flip the toggle for overdrive once you hit about 50 mph. The lock-up toggle wouldn't have to be used for daily driving except when you want to "play" and on longer highway cruises to help lower fluid temps and get better fuel economy.

well for me the manual vb is way different than rowing gears i dont loose the boost and it shifts way faster besides the fact of being able to launch way harder and also clutches suck to replace

thanks all for your opinions would it be a bad idea to just build the 47rh like big blue said than maybe later change to a manual vb or would it just be to much work and be better to go ahead and do it, im just worried on the possibilty of killing the everyday driving if i want to

I would say go 47rh with toggle swithes for OD/LU, or for 1500 more you could have a 48re with a standalone VB and PCS controller, plus you save some building the 48re since you wouldn't have to upgrade planetaries and would have the 48re drum which holds 1 more clutch the 47 drum. I believe the 48re is close to the same length as the NV and you could possibly get by without shortening and lengthening your driveshafts as you definitely will have to with the 47rh which is 6in. longer then the 48re.

Lavon

Yeah A&A seems to be the only choice. They are going to build me one for my 518 when I tear into it.

Hey lavon what's the cost with the 47rh I just figured I would saw alot not having to buy the harness and get the ecu flashed which I understand the standalone takes place of that correct?

By the time you upgrade the 47rh to the 48re drum and 6 pinion planetary, you'll offset the cost of the standalone valve body some, other things to consider are cost of a 47rh core vs a 48re core, which from what ive seen the 48re cores are $500 more, I think its a safe number to say that unless you come by a cheap 48re core its going to cost 1500-2000 more to go standalone 48re, although you would probably never regret going that route after the money is spent.

Lavon

if your 4x4 Id be willing to swap... I know Im new here but I have been on cumminsforum.com for a while, user name TexasZ... LMK if you might be interested.

Back