Time to upgrade the twins

cyric

Tinkerer
Well thanks to the Adrenaline my HX35/ K31 twins will no longer keep egts in check. My main problem is the 12 cm housing on the 35. I just cant see putting $350 in a used housing or $480 in a new housing into the 35. So I am looking for suggestions for a new secondary turbo. I really like the ball bearing units either Garret or Turbonetics, but I am not sure what would be the best. I plan on upgrading to Mach 4s in the future as well as new springs. I know orings are in the near future as my headgasket is going to let go sometime. When the head comes off for orings I will be doing some porting. So let me hear your suggestions. I am not set on a ball bearing unit I just really like them for the cool factor and fast spool up.
Joe

My 35/K31 twins started wheezing at the 425-450 mark. I swaped to an SPS62 on top and it was fine to about 525. Then swapped to a 64 on top and it went up another 30 or so. At that point I changed to a larger primary. You could gain a bit by going to a slightly larger primary. A 72mm S400 with a 1.1 housing and 83mm turbine might help a bit. Depends on what you want to do.
You will probably see less boost for a given amount of power with the larger secondary.

A Super B or HTBG would be a good one.

I might have a Stg II Garrett BB available...but I haven't decided what I'm doing with it yet;)

Chris

hey joe, you should bring the beast down to lloyds garage and build the new set, at least we can give you a hand or shoot the ****. if i was going to do it again i would go with the 62/13 (or BB eqiv) and upgrade to an s480 on the bottom. just thoughts, take it for whats its worth, not really much.

Would you put an s400 or uprade to the s480 to put under my II Silver 62/12?

I still need to tow and spool good for Daily....

Would you put an s400 or uprade to the s480 to put under my II Silver 62/12?

I still need to tow and spool good for Daily....

All depends on how far you want to go...a S400 should be good enough, but a S480 would be that much more. Although the price difference is a bit steep;)

Chris

I'm leaning to the s400......Just waiting to sell this Dmax so I can spend the cash!!

Either way, you'll be happy. I ran a HX40/B2 setup about 2 years ago, and have missed them ever since!

Soon, I'll be twinned again:D
Chris

My 35/K31 twins started wheezing at the 425-450 mark. I swaped to an SPS62 on top and it was fine to about 525. Then swapped to a 64 on top and it went up another 30 or so. At that point I changed to a larger primary. You could gain a bit by going to a slightly larger primary. A 72mm S400 with a 1.1 housing and 83mm turbine might help a bit. Depends on what you want to do.
You will probably see less boost for a given amount of power with the larger secondary.

I have a s400 lying in the basement but it has a 1.32 a/r exhaust housing. I have a super40 lying in the basement as well. I have considered running it as a secondary, but I wasn't happy with it as a single so I doubt if I use it. Thanks for all the help guys.
jkretzer said:
hey joe, you should bring the beast down to lloyds garage and build the new set, at least we can give you a hand or shoot the ****. if i was going to do it again i would go with the 62/13 (or BB eqiv) and upgrade to an s480 on the bottom. just thoughts, take it for whats its worth, not really much.
Since I am working second shift I would only have the weekends down at Llyods so I will build these behind the house like the last time.
Signature600 said:
I might have a Stg II Garrett BB available...but I haven't decided what I'm doing with it yet
Let me know if you decide to sell that Garrett Chris

if you need any flanges lloyd has got a heck of a deal from an excellant machinest! :) well buddy if you need any help let me know, if i can i will slide up, ha i havent even made it to lloyds shop for a few weeks i have been so dang busy. trying to get my house rewired, gathering parts so i can swap in a 300 I6 in my bronco and also convert it from the c6 auto to a t18 or zf 5 ( if i can find one) i have everything except the trans and slave cylinder. let me know bud.

You dont need an s480, that turbo get tossed around way to much as a good primary below a 62.

Im in the same boat and i just built them a couple months ago i need a bigger turbo a cam water meth and a bigger wallet.

Im in the same boat and i just built them a couple months ago i need a bigger turbo a cam water meth and a bigger wallet.

Yeah I could use a bigger wallet myself. I might throw on that super 40 and see what it does. I will only be out a few bucks for the new 90.

jkretzer said:
if you need any flanges lloyd has got a heck of a deal from an excellant machinest!
Yea I met that guy seems to know what he is doing. :evil
Joe

haha, i may have to get ahold of him to machine me some parts to build me a money crapper, so i can afford to play again. remember that nissan truck that i had, i finally got it on the road 2 weeks ago, checked my mpg for the first time yesterday. it got 28.5 mpg wtih some shorts trips to my parents house. that is just back and forth to work. i used 11 gallons and 1 qt of oil in 9 days of driving. haahah. you know why it used the oil.

Chris, what B2 did you run under the HX40? I am running a 40 as a single now and need to do something about these EGTs, I was thinking about a HTT62/71/13 single, but if I could do twins with my 40 for similar money I think I would go with the twins,

Chris, what B2 did you run under the HX40? I am running a 40 as a single now and need to do something about these EGTs, I was thinking about a HTT62/71/13 single, but if I could do twins with my 40 for similar money I think I would go with the twins,

A B2 is a 74mm S400 with the big turbine wheel and a 1.32 housing.

With a 16cm housing on the 40, and the fueling I had then, by 2100RPM I was at 51psi.

EGT's were out of whack, but my timing had slipped and I never got around to adjusting it!

Chris

if you need any flanges lloyd has got a heck of a deal from an excellant machinest! :) .

:hehe: I have seen that guys work also, not to shabby.
Btw, I hear he is working on a building a new set of compounds too.
How wierd.

Back