Timing case bolts

B N S slammer

Just wondered how everybody goes about making sure the 5 timing case bolts don't loosen up or worse yet come out. I cleaned the bolts off put blue loc-tight on and tightened as tight as I dare with a 3/8 ratchet? Has anybody's ever come out after doing the swap? It didn't appear that they had any loc-tight from factory. I'm probably just paranoid, but I can see these being as troublesome as a KDP..

I put mine back in with red loc-tite last night and didn't even go as tight as you described.

Just tighten them up. I've never used anything on them.

I install them with a small bit of red loctite because I have seen the bolts loosen up from the factory without it.

From what you described I would think they would hold fine...... until you need to get back in there and they wring off . good luck .

My cummins manual says to use locktite and torque to 18, although it was not from the factory.

Blue loctite isn't meant for vibration. Loctite 279 is what I use and have always used when working on diesels. Make sure to blow the threads out with brake clean and compressed air, not just the bolt's threads. Also, don't go too heavy with the 279 otherwise you'll be investing in a torch, left handed drill bits, and a tap set.

Loctite 242, blue stuff, if good for automotive use.

I would have rather used the red stuff but all I had was the "removeable" strength blue. I've never heard of anybody's coming out, but I've heard stories where they are finger tight when they go to remove them.

I would have rather used the red stuff but all I had was the "removeable" strength blue. I've never heard of anybody's coming out, but I've heard stories where they are finger tight when they go to remove them.

Check the bottle, generally it says that the medium strength thread locker is permanent on smaller fasteners (<5/16 or 3/8).

I used red lock-tite on mine, didn't have a problem taking them back out. Although, I use the thin torx head bolts like on the VP motors, not the hex bolts like on the 12v.

I pulled the cam back and thoroughly cleaned and put red loc tite on them. Also torqued them tighter than spec. I wasn't gonna sleep too well with just blue loctite lol.

Back