timing gear housing to block gasket sealant?

qmikep

I'm changing my timing gear housing to block gasket because it leaks. I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on whether or not to use sealant on the gasket.
The cummins b series manual doesn't mention anything about using a sealant. However I've talked to a few folks who said to use rtv on the gasket.
The gasket is genuine cummins and its a pinkish papery looking thing.

I wanted to get a general consensus whether or not to use a sealant/dressing on the gasket as I don't want to have to redo it as its a pita to get to.

Thanks

I used no gasket and used “ The right stuff” no leaks.... also made 1157hp on the engine dyno with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use gray rtv or high tac. Makes it easier to place the housing in without the gasket slipping off. Definitely gray rtv where it meets the oil pan.

I 2nd gray rtv, I use that on most everything where applicable.

I would use no gasket and put Loctite 5699 on there. It costs more than the permatex branded RTV, but it’s what Cummins uses so I’m sure it’s for a reason.

How long has cummins been doing this? We are resealing aluminum housings on three trucks right now that had rtv instead of gaskets. Each have about 8k hrs of run time.

Just curious.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

How long has cummins been doing this? We are resealing aluminum housings on three trucks right now that had rtv instead of gaskets. Each have about 8k hrs of run time.

Just curious.

I prefer to use pure manatee blood, but that chits getting hard to find.

not to side track,but would not using a gasket tighten up the mesh between the pump gear and cam gear? I am starting a rebuild soon and having been thinking about this also. Does the cam retainer allow enough thrust to not worry about this?

I prefer to use pure manatee blood, but that chits getting hard to find.
Interesting. Think I can find some at my local ethnic food market?

Last edited:
As long as they cater to redneck. There's a bunch of them swimming cows in my backyard getting in the way of things.

Ok so i may split the difference. Anyone had bad luck with a gasket + high tack?

not to side track,but would not using a gasket tighten up the mesh between the pump gear and cam gear? I am starting a rebuild soon and having been thinking about this also. Does the cam retainer allow enough thrust to not worry about this?

Mesh is based on radial spacing. Gasket v. no gasket would change face alignment (like how a walking cam gear changes face alignment).

I used gray rtv on one side of the gasket and blue lock tite on all on the bolts.
I've heard a lot of new oem stuff uses The Right Stuff and no gasket

mesh

Mesh is based on radial spacing. Gasket v. no gasket would change face alignment (like how a walking cam gear changes face alignment).

understand, guess I was getting a little ahead of myself thinking about the helical cut gears. What you are saying makes sense.

So, the OEM I mentioned using Grey rtv has changed their specification to loctite 515 to assemble the aluminum accessory drive to gear case joint.

Back