Timing Question

Ken in AZ

ill-tempered
I currently have the Marine 370 injectors and have the timing right at 19*

Before these injectors I had the stock 215's and some a-bomb down at Cummins Rocky mountain set my timing to 23* - 24* and it blew the stock head gasket. I added the Marine Gasket and with the 215's that far advanced the truck ran great. When I did the timing for the first time I noticed the error and set it to a conservative 16*

When I first installed the 370's I took everybodies advice and set the timing at 16* and that was absolute crap. it stumbled around and surged everywhere within part throttle. I then upped the timing to where it is now @ 19* and the truck runs pretty good, but I'm wondering what the 370's would be like at 22*

Anyone have any experience with this? If I was good on the 215's at a higher timing what ill effects if any with the 370's have?

I know I'll be spraying out of the bowl, but will the increased volume of the fuel at the injector blow my headgasket or since I was good with the 215's I should be good with these 370's?

thanks
Ken

How much does the washers affect the spray patter with heat & smoke in mind?

I have a set of II dragon flows with stock timing & really thick washers. Seems that when I bump the timing up to 25* that I would need a thinner washer correct? sorry for the hi-jack

Yeah, I know the spray pattern will be out of the bowl.....it already is and with the stock injectors at 24* I think I'd be alright with the 370's at 22 I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the 370's with that advanced of timing, and yes if I had the cash I'd drop it in a heart beat to get new injectors.

Right now my truck is pretty clean so I don't know why everone says the 370's are smokey

here's a video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl7uJ-loo0k

Smokem can get you some good injectors for an awesome price, you mightwant to give that a thought? You could talk to him and he could probably set you up with whatever you need, then sell the 370's to recoupe most the money.

I wouldn't put that much timing into 370's just because your cylinder pressures would be WAY up there! And that is what kills HG's the quikest.

Well I set it right at 22* on sunday and it runs great. It smoke a wee bit when it's cold at idle and it seems to be a little dirtier on the street just drivin around, but that's only when it's cold.

Runs great though - before it would pop and sputter around 3200rpm when I would free rev it, now it can free rev all the way up. Very nice...Great success!

ps: If the headgasket blows that'll just be another excuse to get a stage 3 head from PDR :) LOL

Back