Timing Question

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
My truck is getting close to running again. And I have a question about timing.

Combo first...p-pumped 24v, P&P CR head, SPS62/HT4C twins, Killer B cam, 550+cc pump w/full cuts (going to run 181's for now).

It made 795HP at 30* timing. But since I will be moving to Nebraska this winter I will need to do soem towing. 30* is a bit much for towing.

Obviously I need to run less timing for the time being. The question is how much? 20* is what I'm thinking of starting with. Largely to keep from blowing it up again. LOL and so can try to tow with these twins. Any suggestions/complaints other than that?

I'll turn it back up to 30+* for a local dyno event though. ;) Maybe even swap back in the FC's and add some giggle gas. You know, for laughs!!

20? 22? 24 even? I don't see compression being dropped so I wouldn't blink an eye at 26.

oh yeah, i forgot...shaved .010 off the pistons (no flt cuts just a bit off the top), compression maybe a little lower, but not much

I think your biggest concern will be pulling fuel out of it, not sure how those twins will spool but it might run hot cruising, not to mention towing a load from MD to NE might cost a small fortune in fuel unless you tune her down a bit.

Yeah. Just take some fuel out.

Good to hear it's close.

Slowing the fuel down is my primary objective right now TJ...hence the 181's in place of full cuts. I'll play with the AFC a lot too, maybe even put a plate in it if I can find one for free. LOL Tuning it for A LOT less heat might take a small miricle.

You tow at 35* anda 64 Chad? I'm not sure my 62 was spooling fast enough to attempt that, I tried once with it at 30* but the trailer had brake issues and I never left the drive way. Over fueling could have been a part of my slow spooling too.

Jeff jumped in there while I was typing. LOL I took last week off and drove up most everyday and got the motor mostly finished up and some other little mototonus things that take up time. I was told the motor would be in the is week, I'm hoping to get up there on Saturday and get it as close as we can to completed.

Anyone care to lend a hand??

Think 181's will be enough good?

Think 181's will be enough good?

131s, especially the 131 seat, would be a better option if you can get ahold of some for not much money. The seats should help with the heat via better sealing. I noticed better street manners when going from 181s to 131s. Good luck.

Thanks...I'll give anything a shot since I can't afford to another melt down. At least not till I get to NE!!

I'm debating whether or not I should try running a plate too. I also forgot to mention I have NO plate and am running Mach 7's. So it fuels pretty hard at all RPMS. LOL But new plates are a ridiculous $200-$270 and that aint gonna happen.

Snedge...got any 131's or plates laying around for cheap??

You tow at 35* anda 64 Chad? I'm not sure my 62 was spooling fast enough to attempt that, I tried once with it at 30* but the trailer had brake issues and I never left the drive way. Over fueling could have been a part of my slow spooling too.

I did with my 64 and now I have a 66/74/14 that I have towed with. I would get a plate and a tight afc spring in it.That is the trick imo

It's got a valve spring forma 1.6 L VW in the AFC...it's pretty tight!!! LMAO

The search is on for a plate...I might even make one if I can find a little more info...or one to make a copy from.

I'll trade you a set of 131 dvs, and stock fuel plate for a set of full cut dv's.

Back