Timing

bigsexy7.3

Im about to pull my front cover and such to change the timing on my 12v but we were discussing this the other and wanted some more guys opinions. I leave the line at 4k and she drops to around 2400/2500. I know that a 12v only carrys the rpm the fuel will allow it so my question is with bumping the timing will this allow me to gain some more rpm or atleast fuel it to help carry the rpm higher. I know I need gears but im just asking about timing right now. My pump is a 215 so I plan to add 4 degrees to compensate for the pump retarding at full rack being when I pull I have my foot on the floor

Bumping more timing will make it worse.
Less timing works for making power at lower RPM levels.

Does advancing the timing not increase the fuelling to gain high end max hp/tq? I tried swapping a 1.0 housing on my turbo and tried dynoing it with just that change and we were getting a 2 foot flame out my stack so I put the the .90 back and havent had the same problem

Timing is not going to change your fueling in any way. 2500rpm is really really low. My old 2.6 truck had a 12mm pump and I would come off the line at 5k and come down to 3800. The best mine ran at was 32°

What's the timing set at now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 with a number 6 buck in the adjustable scheid gear which I found out isnt adding 6 so were somewhere around 24

Id like to be at 34 with the timing on my pump self retarding it will make up for it

Try and report back. Never hurts to try anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bumped it.to 34 degrees and she feels.better but I couldnt beat on it to hard because of the rain. I however came home and filled my gallon coolant jug

Wouldn't it be wise to limit rack so that it doesn't retard timing ? Because it also lowers fueling when retard cut is in use.

Retorqued my studs and replaced the radiator cap then took it for.a drive with no problems but I didnt get.on it hard.

We dynoed with a fuel plate and without back to back we gained more about 24hp without it

We dynoed with a fuel plate and without back to back we gained more about 24hp without it

Where did the power peak at? Did it change where it peaked with and without the plate? If it peaked at a low rpm then the truck will not run a higher rpm down the track unless a gear change happens. There is no way around it.

My peak only changed abou 65 rpm to 2860 being peak. I think the dragon fly pump im running needs new gov spring because in 5th gear she almost feels like she falls off at 3200

Pressure tested the cooling system starting at 10 slowly increasing it.to 14 and didnt lose or gain any when I started it after letting it sit.for an hour

Back