TIP Gauge on the cheap - pics!

Ken in AZ

ill-tempered
I've been having some EGT issues lately...well since I put in the plate so I guess for a long time now :blahblah1:

So I decided to make a TIP Gauge, on the cheap.

My B1 is Non-Wastegated so I had a guess that my TIP was high. I've seen everyone runnin this set-up or somethin close to it with the 3K GSK with EGT's in the normal range. Since I have the 4K GSK I was figuring that the RPM's were causing excessive airflow requirements that would necessitate a wastegate.

I installed this with about $15.00 of hardware and a cheap-o tire pressure gauge for $3.99. Now I know the accuracy of the gauge is important, but I was looking for something that would be blatently obvious. The gauge was a bit bouncy and fluttered quite a bit, but it was fairly accurate over 20psi meaning it smoothed out to acceptable limits. What I saw was....Something close to 70psi of TIP at 40psi of boost. I know the gauge only reads to 60psi, but It was wound all the way around to the stop so it could have been more or less depending on how you attribute it. Regaurdless it is excessive and I will be installing a wastegate soon. All this and I was only at 80% throttle and 3600rpm....I can spin it to 4K.

here are the pics...

thanks
Ken

Attachments

• TIP6.JPG
    TIP6.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 83
  • TIP4.JPG
    TIP4.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 43
  • TIP1.JPG
    TIP1.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 81
  • TIP2.JPG
    TIP2.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 63
  • TIP3.JPG
    TIP3.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 45
On mine I'm seeing roughly 40-45 TIP at 42psi of boost. That's on a 62/12 with an oversized wastegate.

Hey- that looks a lot better than running the copper tubing into the cab through the passenger window :badidea:

Sounds like a good excuse to pick up a htt stainless housing. Those things have big wastegates =P

II hogged out my wastegate and set it up for twins. It's absolutely HUGE.

BgBlDodge said:
II hogged out my wastegate and set it up for twins. It's absolutely HUGE.

Did you go to a bigger flap or just open that one?

dodge359 said:
Did you go to a bigger flap or just open that one?

I dunno. II did it. From the looks of it that hogged out the passages and put in a bigger flap. It looks like someone took a plasma cutter and went to town on the passages. You'll have to call II to get the full details though but I know it's bigger than most and they are doing the same thing to thebignasty's 62/12 turbo that he's getting.

I have a TIP gauge in my truck and it had been plugged up or something for about a month now.

What can i do to get it to start working again?? Just blow compressed air through the line from the gauge side to the manifold side???

Lance

oldsmokey97 said:
I have a TIP gauge in my truck and it had been plugged up or something for about a month now.

What can i do to get it to start working again?? Just blow compressed air through the line from the gauge side to the manifold side???

Lance

What kind of line did you use?

oldsmokey97 said:

Lance

You have compressed air already hooked to it. Try going WFO =P
Okay your way might work too =\

I ended up putting a $3 fram fuel filter in my back pressure gauge. It keeps the soot from there back through the copper line. I've only put a couple hundred miles on it since then.

I'm very happy with my setup's back pressure. At 60psi, 3800rpms, 1/4 throttle, it has 45psi of back pressure. At 100psi boost, its at 100psi back pressure. :rockwoot:

Jff24Gordn said:
I ended up putting a $3 fram fuel filter in my back pressure gauge. It keeps the soot from there back through the copper line. I've only put a couple hundred miles on it since then.

I'm very happy with my setup's back pressure. At 60psi, 3800rpms, 1/4 throttle, it has 45psi of back pressure. At 100psi boost, its at 100psi back pressure. :rockwoot:

As stated below. Also what did you use for a gauge, I just put in another boost gauge but I havent hooked it up yet since the primary blocks the extra port in the manifold.:doh:

:nopics:

I have a autometer 100psi boost gauge for back pressure. I need to get a 150 for it to match my 150 boost gauge.

As for the filter, its a cheap fram fuel filter from walmart. Its 5/16 ends, and I cut the rib that the hose is supposed to clamp onto off.

Attachments

• tipfilter.jpg
    tipfilter.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 30
Back