Tire Pressure How Much Impact?

Leadfoot, you post sound advice!!:thankyou2:

One thing about sledpulling-there is nothing written in stone. Too many variables to ace it every time- that what makes in fun. I dont understand the guys who want the same sled/same track every hook.:what:

I didn't mark my wheels/tires, but I knew by the white letters and valve stems where they were. Not the most accurate, I know, but I tend to notice things.

Most times I was betwen 20 and 28 PSI in the front, and 25 to 35 in the rear. MT Baja MTX, 315s, 305, 285s. I ran them all, different turbos, different gears. 305s worked the best. (315s worked well in destroying Dodge drivetrain.)

I wrote the book on watch and learn, because we didn't have the budget to try 50 sets of wheels/tires a season!!!!
I think the most helpful thing I learned, (my opinion only!) was to avoid mud terrains, boggers, and claws. You want to stay on top and grip the track, not dig holes through it. SIPES!!!!
Second, BFG A/Ts were a great street/puller 20 years ago(My second set of tires!!)but man are they outdated!

Also, sometimes what a 9000 rpm, 6200# short wheel base, gasser is roasting on the track does not work well with a (CENSORED) rpm, 8000#long wheel base Diesel.:ft:

Sleddy!

Damn, You can answer a question and be a nice person! Good to see your still around. P.S. Your correct on what works for a high rpm gasser, may not work on a lower rpm heavy diesel. Sting

The other thing I forgot (but remembered when I saw your thoughts on the boggers) is that we pull mostly on "Less than ideal" tracks most of the time which makes a difference. Part of me would like to move out your way as tracks seem to be more consistant and have a much better soil composition (clay) than we have in the Northeast :doh: :bang

We have one biting clay track that probably is only about 80% ideal compared to out West and others are probably in th 40-60% range (some are just plowed up sections of an old horse track or midway :kick:

We tend to need to dig down to terra firma whereas on a good track that is not needed. Thats one of the disadvantages of sharing setups over the net as it can be comparing apples and oranges....and it's another reason why I'ld like to move out of the Northeast (ideally the Carolinas or out toward Indy).

True, unless rain was involved, an idiot on a water truck, or we are stuck on a horse track, most tracks in the midwest are wicked biters.

The 315 MTXs did their job well on mud, a few times, heheheh poor gassers!!!

Gene

The guy that started you on the track with these MTX's must have been a genius.... :hehe: Wonder how many Diesel's where pulling with MTX's before Bullskin a number of years ago???? Kinda like the STS's now...

Air pressure goes hand and hand with track reading. Goto just about any pull and see who is reading the tack and getting it correct. Hardly any truck guys even bother to read the track.

What you need to do is get some advice on track reading from a tractor guy that constantly hits the weight and reads the dirt. There is a good bit of footage left in alot of the trucks that I have seen at the pulls if they would read the track.

Distributor said:
Gene

Wonder how many Diesel's where pulling with MTX's before Bullskin a number of years ago???? .

Maybe the question, is, how many Diesels were pulling at all, before 02? LOL

The few that were, had the dreaded BFG AT syndrome, or the big old goober mud tire fever!!!LOL :bang

Yes, Dist you are the genious that loaned me your buddys set of MTXs, I only wish you would have taken some of the credit for the carnage that followed. SATAN tires!

Thrill of victory, agony of defeat, sort of thing.(I suppose many of you have no idea what that line is even from.??)

Track reading? Track reading? Hammer it, you dont need all the footage, your truck is capable of, just enough to win.:cheer:

I'm probally the only person that read the last two posts and knows where Bullskin is..... and yes I have pulled there also.... :hehe:

I agree that tire pressure is important, proper truck setup up can overcome a lack of horsepower on anyday.

One thing about Bullskin, when you take it out the gate, you really take it out the gate!!

Sled puller: "Whast the rules for the Diesel class?":rules:

Redneck bib overalled scale Bullskinner: "Giv me $20 and weigh in!":rockwoot:

One of these days I'll post some vintage footage...lol

I've been out the gate at Bullskin.... and they updated to two classes now... stock and high output... progress haha

Mat, I've just been working, chasing rabbit dogs, watching football, and taking up my new hobby coyote hunting.... As far as the truck I heard your were buying it for the street class this year.... :hehe: I haven't done anything with it yet, but might tear into it next week since I'll be on vacation over the holidays.

Last edited:
Back