too much cetane additive - negative affect?

Anyone ever ran into a problem with adding way too much cetane additive? Ran very very clean/smooth at idle (unusual) and could not run above 5k rpm. Drained tank, filled with #2, once lines and pump were flushed, back to running rough and smoking, rpm was back to normal.

Thoughts?

Some guys I used to hang with ran almost straight stanadyne in their puller(s) said it ran awesome. I did notice the extremely smooth idle with high concentrations in mine, but I was VP'd at the time so I didn't notice any RPM difference.

For my 12v the more I have added the better it idles still ran to whatever rpm tho ... but my CR is around 15:1

It wasn't mine, they added two bottles that apparently raise the cetane 7 points in 200 gallons to a tank of a few gallons. I wouldn't think it would have a negative affect, however they claimed it fixed the issue once removed. Just trying to confirm that it could cause problems or tell them they had another issue.

Quite a few years ago, we played with adding Cetane booster on the dyno. Without tuning changes, at about twice the recommended amount we saw a decrease in hp. Not a lot, but some. I think if you modified the tuning for the extra amount you could continue to gain hp. We didn't see anything as dramatic as what you are describing though.

Paul

I was once forced to run my truck on straight Power Service (I think) and it ran pretty much normal from what I recall but it was a while back. Never stepped on it because I was otherwise out of fuel.

Cetane makes diesel fuel more flammable. So you can effectively adjust your timing with more cetane. Ignition will occur sooner.

they are pulling again tonight, we will see how it goes. 4.1 holset on a 5.9, hoping for a solid pass:Cheer:

Once upon a time I mixed a 200 gallon treatment of Powerservice with 5gallons of fuel. It ran fine. LOL

Too much cetane for an application will have a burn cycle begin quicker & sooner in relation to the injection point like stated already, resulting in consumption of still liquid fuel droplets before they evaporate making more smoke (hydrocarbons) which removes possible power production like Paulb stated in his experience.

Back