Tool tray over fan shroud?

MD-LUCKY

Difficult To Pronounce...
Anyone know of a source that still builds the tool trays that bolt over the top of the fan shroud for 94-02 trucks?

I think Genos or someone used to build and sell them... Does anyone still make them?

Does Geno's not stock them anymore? What size tray you need? I have access to stainless and a break :D

I can't find them anywhere.. This is the closest I can come up with:

TOOL TRAY/GRILLE GUARD KIT ('03-'08 DODGE)-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage

Basically, I'm looking for the old school tray that covers the fan stroud area and acts like a tool tray. If you think you can build it, let me know a price.. Cus I'm getting sick of looking at this ****e:
photo41.jpg

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Basically you want a tray to cover the top of the shroud and use the shroud attach bolts to hold it down? Should be pretty easy, I'll get a tape out and see what I can come up with.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking Billy.

Here is my thought (because I'm kind of thinking about trying to build it myself..):

Sorry for the sweet MS Paint skills.

I would have it follow the two straight lines at the edges of the fan shroud out to the end of the shroud (toward the engine) and across. Make it attatch to the bolts on top of the radiator.

example.jpg

Then, I would cut out the spots on this sweet pictures that are green and insert something like this:

P3150044.JPG

Basically just a small magnetic tool tray that would sit down inside the space between the edge of the new metal shroud and the original plastic shroud.

I think you could build it on the cheap.. doesn't exactly have to be load bearing or very thick metal. What's your thoughts?

I think I see where you are coming from, basically a flat piece of metal to carry all the way across and cover the shroud, with two cutouts for the magnetic tray. I'm thinking some .041 aluminum, rivet the brace/attach points on, cut out for the trays and some epoxy to hold them in place, maybe have to make some legs to support the trays, dunno, have to see.

I'll do some looking tomorrow, most likely try to get some metal bent/cut next week, rest of this week is gonna be tied up.

Hey Billy, this is what I came up with:

Get a piece of aluminum 37" wide by 9.5" long.

From the front, go back 2.5" and make a 90* up. 1 3/4" inch up, and a 90* back toward the engine.

Bolts from the left, are 4 1/8" to the right, 1 1/8" back. From the first one on the left, they are 9.5" apart going to the right. (Those are all measured to the center of the hole).

Once it is all bent, go 8 3/4" from the furthest back point on the top tray toward the center. Cut from that point back to the 90*.

On the right, go 5 1/4" left. Cut from that point back to the 90*.

Should look something like this:
cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

I don't have access to a break.. Otherwise I'd build it now that I know how it needs to go together. :) I'll pay you for your time / material / shipping if you want to try throwing one together!

There will be an issue with the positive power cable. From what I can tell, you'll be able to use the two center posts, but I don't think the outer 2 will work.. Will probably need to drill a hole and run a bolt through it and then through the cable tie. Should work.

I missed your reply with being out of town this weekend, sorry. Also blame the weather, it has not quit raining here long enough when I'm awake to get out and do much of anything :( It is SUPPOSED to be clear(ish) a few days this week, just have to see.

As for your piece, yes, I can make it with the directions given, how thick of what kind of metal?

Hi Billy!

Lets not worry about it for a while, eh? You have more important things to take care of right now. :)

I'm checking with a local place to see if they can do it for me. If not, I'll figure something else out. If you ever decide to build one yourself, that should at least be a good starting point for measurements and what not. I should know more by tonight, and I'll keep you posted!

Found a local source...

I'm going to pick it up this afternoon. I'll post some pictures when it's all done. :)

Decided to go ahead and build it tonight..

First one always goes a little rough... I'm pretty sure I could build the next one much more gooder and faster. If I had a plasma cutter... :)

Here is what I've got so far:

Making sure that it all fits.. Like and idiot, I tried to make the shroud fit over the top of the radiator, instead of sitting down inside the radiator. Well, guess what... The studs on the radiator aren't tall enough. So I had to get a new set of stainless steal nuts to replace the factory ones. Oh well.
fanshroud.jpg

Didn't take a lot of pictures.. Here it is all cut up with one of the "tool" trays installed.
fanshroud5.jpg

Other one cut out.
fanshroud1.jpg

Tool tray.
fanshroud4.jpg

All the trim.
fanshroud3.jpg

fanshroud2.jpg

Just need to get it all cleaned up and polished now. Lots of scratches and crap that I probably won't be able to get out.. Oh well, it's not a show truck. :)

When it's light out, I'll get it installed and get a few pictures.

Looks great!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help, blame Ma Nature, I think we will be wetter this month than Seattle, it's raining today, again, just like the previous 4 :bang

It's all coming off and I'm redoing it. :(

1 very serious issue: the trays fill up with road grime! Didn't think that through at all.. And, I made sure they wouldn't come out.. So you can't remove them.

So, I'm going to build another. This time, the trays won't be mounted inside the fan shroud. I'm going to build it so most of the tray is magnetic.. Then, I'll find a way to store the trays on it, but upside down. When I need to use them, I will flip them over and they should still have enough magnatism to make it all work.

I also picked up about 5 feet of cable to extend out the cable that runs across the front of the truck.

So thats the latest. I'll post pics when I change and fix everything. For now, this is how it looks for the next 18 hours or so... before I tear it completely apart!! :D

fanshroud7.jpg

fanshroud6.jpg

Alright, this is the way it's staying:

fanshroud9.jpg

fanshroud10.jpg

I store the trays right here. They are held in place magnetically, and I can remove them whenever I want. This way, I can clean them out if they get anything inside them.. but, I still have them around when needed.

fanshroud8.jpg

Now I need to put something on the shroud. I was thinking "CAUTION FAN" again, but I don't know if I should do it in red or black.. I will have to think it over.

Oh yeah, and I got a new postive cable to connect the batteries too, so it doesn't hit the hood insulation anymore.

Back