Torqshift won't shift into 4th

jwfrauts

My transmission started acting up a few days ago. I shifts fine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but when it shifts to 4th it just revs up and will not go. I will go into neutral and then try to slam into gear several times. When this happens the tow/haul lights starts flashing. The check engine light came on and I had it scanned. It said that the direct drive solenoid maybe faulty. I replaced it tonight with a new one from Ford. This did not fix anything. When I put it in reverse it bounces, also. Does anybody have any ideas? Looks like I will be building a new transmission soon. Oh yeah I have tried it with a tune and stock and does the same thing.

Sounds like its working itself apart. If direct has gone metal to metal its pumping stuff into the solenoids. When you pulled the pan down did the fluid look like it had a handful of glitter in it?

my '04 2wd did the same exact thing. i just got a new ats because it was easier. O by the way dont take it to FordJ when i did they said i needed a new unit '' 6 gs'' i declined then drove it for another 7000 miles, untill 2 weeks ago i said enough.

Your 04 probably had a reverse planetary gear set comming apart. His 06 doesn't have that problem. And a brand new 3yr/75k mile transmission with converter from Ford is about 2300 dollars. Plus a couple of dollars for them to put it in.

Not the flashing lights of death! When ever I have heard of someone's tow/haul (or OD on the older turcks) it has never been an easy fix. Sorry to hear about it but at least you should still be under warranty. How many miles on the truck. Do you have any good dealers in your area?

No the transmission is not still under warrenty. I have 66000 hard miles on it. And yes Doug there was metal glitter in the bottom of the pan. I did not take it to Ford I just bought the solenoid from Ford. I am probably going to rebuild it myself with a precision industries torque converter. I rebuilt my old 4r100 and never had anymore problems with it. I just didn't want to have to pull it yet.

The pan has never been off of the transmission so I didn't think the amount of clutch dust was too terribly bad.

Clutch dust normally will stick to the magnet. Glitter like stuff in the pan isn't good.

Glitter aka aluminum ain't gonna stick to a magnet... Which is probably the case with the reverse planetary having a quick lunch...

Oh God, Deja Vu.....

If you had metal in yours as well. I so hope you are getting that new unit. And do yourself a favor and get a new cooler and don't waste the time trying to flush the old one.

No metal in mine Doug..

Just making a mental note that here is yet another 5R110 dying a mysterious death. I know that a new trans is supposed to make everything alright, I just have this uneasy feeling because here is yet one more guy that started out with a brand-new trans, took care of it, & ended up with a pile of junk that experts do not even recommend rebuilding. ("go to Ford, get new unit")

Fixing my individual truck is going to be good, but it's not the entire answer. Based on my research, I'm convinced there are some basic flaws in the trans. I am hoping we can all put our heads together & figure out why this nasty business keeps happening.

BTW, you were way cool to go out of your way to call me back right in the middle of your racetruck bash & offer your earnest advice. :rockwoot:

I honestly don't know that I'd consider 66k miles of running a tune on it, with many other engine mods would classify is as "taken care of it". I can appreciate your viewpoint that it should be able to put up with some abuse, but the $5 question is how much abuse is really too much? Failing that, if he's never had the pan off it, when was the fluid changed, or ever?

I'm not flaming the poor guy for wanting to play with his toy, I do it to mine every time I drive it. I guess my point is that if it was left alone and driven back and forth to church on sundays, it's a different case than dragging a 20 ton sled behind it on the way to the services...

What needs to be done, regardless of the assumed fixes, is figure out what part is coming apart first, and why. From there worry about upgrading clutch material, line pressure, case stiffness, fluid flow for cooling, bearing surface area, yada yada yada...

So based on your experience, what are the basic flaws, and how did you arrive at those conclusions? (not trying to sound like a dick, I'm an engineer; it's just how I see the world)

You see where I'm going here? It is entirely possible that suncoast or whoever else has already run that gauntlet and came up with the solution.

I love a good science project!

No metal in mine Doug..

Just making a mental note that here is yet another 5R110 dying a mysterious death. I know that a new trans is supposed to make everything alright, I just have this uneasy feeling because here is yet one more guy that started out with a brand-new trans, took care of it, & ended up with a pile of junk that experts do not even recommend rebuilding. ("go to Ford, get new unit")

Fixing my individual truck is going to be good, but it's not the entire answer. Based on my research, I'm convinced there are some basic flaws in the trans. I am hoping we can all put our heads together & figure out why this nasty business keeps happening.

BTW, you were way cool to go out of your way to call me back right in the middle of your racetruck bash & offer your earnest advice. :rockwoot:

The answer you are looking for is contained in the thread.... Feel free to call for the answer to the where's waldo...

Back