Torque wrench questions for the professional mechs here...

I think people confuse it with when using an extension on an impact. You will lose torque when using an impact due to the wind up of it and it springing back between beats. Unless you're yanking on a torque wrench quickly, no extension or 36" extension, torque will be the same.

I agree completly on the extension part with the impact, but your not supposed to tourqe with an impact anyways LOL. It is an old mechanics tale and has been passed down for years ans don't see it going away any time soon.

I agree completly on the extension part with the impact, but your not supposed to tourqe with an impact anyways LOL. It is an old mechanics tale and has been passed down for years ans don't see it going away any time soon.

The only debate i have every had about torquing fasteners is the long term affect of doing torque turn with an impact.

Monkey Fist Rage

The only debate i have every had about torquing fasteners is the long term affect of doing torque turn with an impact.

Monkey Fist Rage

On specific pieces maybe, but it can't be too bad or lug nuts would be falling off peoples **** all the time.

Snap-on is lifetime guaranteed. Snap will recalibrate it for free. Snap-on will deal with you on the price, never pay what the tool lists for. I love to beat up the Snap-on rep.Hahaha

Snap-on is lifetime guaranteed. Snap will recalibrate it for free. Snap-on will deal with you on the price, never pay what the tool lists for. I love to beat up the Snap-on rep.Hahaha

snap on torque wrenches are not lifetime... if your dealer is warranting them life time consider yourself very very lucky.

I have a 3/8 techwrench which I've used a bit and I like it for small stuff. However, we have a 1/2 drive at the shop, and it is a massive pile of ****. The fact is, the plastic housing just doesn't work for heavy use. If you bend it the wrong way, push on the wrong spot, it restarts. After awhile, it essentially doesn't work.
I love the idea of the digital ones, and I like my 3/8, but the old clicky kind seems to be the way to go in 1/2".

snap on torque wrenches are not lifetime... if your dealer is warranting them life time consider yourself very very lucky.

This.

I have a 3/8 techwrench which I've used a bit and I like it for small stuff. However, we have a 1/2 drive at the shop, and it is a massive pile of ****. The fact is, the plastic housing just doesn't work for heavy use. If you bend it the wrong way, push on the wrong spot, it restarts. After awhile, it essentially doesn't work.
I love the idea of the digital ones, and I like my 3/8, but the old clicky kind seems to be the way to go in 1/2".

This.

Those digital ones belong in the trash. The idea is great but they never seem to work right. They always seem to reset and don't work.

Tobin

I have 5 of the digital Snap On 1/2" drives on my mechanic's trucks and they get used in the 150-200 ft-lb ranges multiple times a week and the only failure is one that got dropped into water. That one was 5 years old and was repaired with no questions asked by my Snap On dealer. No charge either. Never had one be off more than 2 lbs. when calibrated. The 3/8" ones have been flawless but the are not used often.

You've got a lot better Snap-On guy then. The guy we've got around here will not budge one bit!!! List price is all you're getting. That's why I have been getting most of what I buy from MAC for the last few years.

Those digital ones belong in the trash. The idea is great but they never seem to work right. They always seem to reset and don't work.

Tobin
I have the new 3/8" and 1/2" TECHANGLE torque wrenches, and they're both great. I've used both quite a bit. You can't beat them up and throw them around, but you really shouldn't do that with any torque wrench. If they are resetting without pushing buttons, there is a problem, and they need to be sent in to be repaired.

I have the new 3/8" and 1/2" TECHANGLE torque wrenches, and they're both great. I've used both quite a bit. You can't beat them up and throw them around, but you really shouldn't do that with any torque wrench. If they are resetting without pushing buttons, there is a problem, and they need to be sent in to be repaired.

Just looked up that one, and see why we're differing in opinion. The tech wrench handle is different, and when you apply force to it, the end flexes, breaking the connection between the battery cap and body of the handle. It looks like the techangle is a lot better design.

Ya I guess it depends on who your tool guy is. Our guy is cool. I have never had him say no, or thats not covered

I have a snap on, expensive but they last. as long as you send them out and get them re calibrated on occasion

In my opinion you cant go wrong with Snap On or CDI. I have Snap On in 1/2", two 3/8" and a 1/4". Have a 3/4" CDI. Actually CDI is a division of Snap On and alot cheaper in price and Snap On truck can get them calibrated when the time comes.

In my opinion you cant go wrong with Snap On or CDI. I have Snap On in 1/2", two 3/8" and a 1/4". Have a 3/4" CDI. Actually CDI is a division of Snap On and alot cheaper in price and Snap On truck can get them calibrated when the time comes.

And that is worth the price of the Snap-On right there. If you use your wrench for anything other than the occasional bolt, its nice to know you can get it certified and tuned up. Nothing is worse IMO than an cheap old wrench with the spring worn out under torquing your bolts.

We have the SnapOn Brutus 1/2" drive torque wrench. The longer handle makes torqueing head studs a little easier. For anything smaller we use a 3/8" SnapOn flexhead. I'm not a huge fan of the electronic torque wrenches. I'm sure they do just fine, but I prefer the click type.

Back