Total Seal Piston Rings Gapless Top ring?

Sportster1208

I bought a set of 6 Ross pistons and a set of NIB Total Seal Rings. Had the pistons Ceramic coated at Calico coating along with antiscuff on the skirts. After opening the box of piston rings I find they are gapless top ring with a Napier second ring. I contacted Ross and they said I should be fine under 70-75psi of boost. Im running a custom S480 and I should be fine there. I have contacted one other member on here that I read back in 2008 was running gapless top Total Seal Rings and he had good results. Anyone care to give an opinion being im still waiting on parts before I assemble? Pros and Cons are welcome

Free bump. Watching myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I switched to them I noticed a tremendous drop in blow by

I run total seal also. By my setup had normal gap top comp ring made from tool steel. The second comp ring was gapless.

What were the old ring gaps and piston to wall clearances. Building a 2.5 engine and trying to decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically there is a formula in the booklet that comes with rings showing how to calculate ring gap per application whether its naturally aspirated, blown, nitrous etc.

I've always heard 8-15 thous in cylinder to piston clearance.

Im going to run .035 top ring .030 second ring, reread the chart and it seems these rings are appropriate for what I want so I will use them and see what happens. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

Im going to run .035 top ring .030 second ring, reread the chart and it seems these rings are appropriate for what I want so I will use them and see what happens. Thanks for the input I appreciate it.

I wouldn't run a gapless top because the skinny ring will not take the heat as well. They are much happier as a second ring in a diesel and you still get the benefit of reduced blow by.

I did a lot o research on this a couple of months ago. Couldn't find a consensus on the gapless rings. Ended up running regular rings, .028" top, .032" second and .020" oil. That's with coated pistons, .008" PTW. High average hp street build.

You have to remember these are 1/16 rings on forged pistons not the stock size rings on stock pistons

Well if anyone is interested I will give them a hell of a deal on total seal MS3690 25 File to fit rings. Ordered the new ones just now.

I have a Gapless second ring in my engine and have 0 blowby... I wont build another engine without a gapless second ring.

So are the new total seal gapless rings the ones you are talking about that have the gapless second ring? And the old style are the gapless top ring? Would they be okay in a weekend rig?

So are the new total seal gapless rings the ones you are talking about that have the gapless second ring? And the old style are the gapless top ring? Would they be okay in a weekend rig?

Are you going to run forged pistons in a weekend rig?

I run a gapless second ring on my build. My ptw is .004. No issues to date.

Back