Towing turbo(s)

DieselMonster

Hey all, I have a 2nd gen, looknig for a bit more power - not smoking ..

So far things are good, wondering what y'all are running .

I'm looking into Turbo's , thinking something like a Silver Bullet 62'ish ?

What do you all think and what makes yours run real nice, I have a 215 12v, 887 IP, 5" straight, VB,TC, and tuned trans..

Looking for specific input here... let me know what ya think .. :thankyou2:

Dont go with the silver bullet 62. Too much turbine for the 62 wheel IMO, especially on a 12v. 62 compressor/ 65,68 or 71 turbine/14cm our all be good options

I'm a big fan of compounds for towing unless you are specifically sticking with a single

Twins no doubt about it.

Stock and a s472 83 turbine with a 1.10ar would be cheap a tow well.

I would like Compounds, But i just got injured at work, and i have a guy who needs a turbo for his 1st gen .. so I'm just trying to get something that I can run DD, and then get something to Compound it with .. so thats part of the equasion as well .

But please keep the ideas flowing, I am looking to get this done here somethime soon, I am looking at this one;

http://www.xtremediesel.com/Applied-Performance-801-011-Stage-1-Turbocharger.aspx

I'm just wanting an upgrade form the HX35W to something that will give me a bit more umpf!!! - I can compound later on when i get the secondary figured out

Last edited:
Super b or s300g if you're really planning on compounding it later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just seen what DAP calls a K27. Its 60/80/18 but that might be a little large on the turbine housing although it is twin volute. Anyone try one of these yet?

Thats what I am thinking , either that or 40/ht60 .. I really appritiate all the input guys, hope to be seen @ a track some time this next spring, have plenty of work to do ..

How much weight and how often are you "towing"

I have had at least 50 different chargers on 12v's over the years, towing in excess of 50K lbs. Towing is not all equal. Chargers are not all good towing chargers.

Give me some more details, and I'll give you my experiences.

You're also in ID, so I have to assume some hills...
Chris

I go between the west end of washington to CL ID ...

I currently tow some times, I leave the stock plate in and FF, but its a little gutless, like Snoqualmie pass for instance, Vantage.. i have to go 3rd lock and keep the rpm's up .. about 40 mph W/8-10K on goose ..

I'ts not a street only machine W/4.10's it does moove fast off the line and I do love they way it spools, it just severly lacks pulling power when going up hills.

Coolant temps are decent the whole way unless i just push and dont down shift then the EGT's and coolant get hot soon ..

Also will beo going to 4K springs ( I do have 60# exh. springs) .. need air bags as well, some basics before gettin ginto too much more towing.

My trailer weighs that much, but we are fairly flat out here.

My favorite single charger was what I ran last on my old 95....Chris @ ED set me up a 58ET/65/12. Spooled awesome, cooled 400hp PERFECT, probably had room for another 30 or 50....but, our max elevation is about 3K feet here.

That truck was a 5spd with 3.55's. Dynoed 398/998.

That would also be an awesome top charger...but the 12cm housing would limit your RPM potential....but if you're more worried about towing than flat out performance, it's worth the trade off.

Chris

Ok , thanks for the input , I will look into that charger..

Do you have any info on where to purchace ?

If your looking to stay with a single a S300g (super b, 57/65/14) can be bought for just under a grand.

Google shopping said so.

I will be looking in to that as well, I will do some shopping around, thatnks for the reply

Back