Towing with a single S369 SXE

zachu812

I've seen a few people ask if they can still tow with a 369, and it seems like a lot of people are buying them thinking it's the perfect all around turbo so I figured I'd give a little review of my experience.

Yesterday I towed about 10k lbs (truck on a heavy trailer) and that was the first time I hooked anything to the truck with the new setup. Basically anything under 2k rpms is useless, don't even try leaving the truck in drive. Things got hot and smokey real quick, I started shifting manually right away and had much better results. I was shifting out of 1st and 2nd at 3k rpms and egt's were manageable but still warm. I didn't hit the highway so I left OD off and it did alright, you can pull short hills in 3rd at speed but if it's a long hill you're gonna have to drop to 2nd and rev the piss out of it.

Basically you CAN tow with it but if you tow a lot buy something smaller. Towing under 2k rpms isnt possible, if you hit a hill you'll need to drop a gear, it wont just make boost like the stock turbo. I didn't set my truck up like this with hopes of it being a tow pig. I only need to pull ocassionally and it is doable, but don't buy this turbo if you tow a lot. 6.7's and other engines might have different results.

Yup, comp was turned off. Made about 40 lbs of boost accelerating, around 10-15 cruising.

Lots of people towing with this turbo. You have other issues. Focus on Tuning and converter changes. That will help you out a lot.

Imo that's a ton of turbo for towing with a vp44. The results you got is what I would expect, with the lack of precise timing and fuel control on the vp trucks they don't stand a chance driving decent with bigger chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of people towing with this turbo. You have other issues. Focus on Tuning and converter changes. That will help you out a lot.

What do you mean by tuning? With a loose converter and 4.10's I'm sure it would have done a little better but I don't think that would change the fact that theres no useable power below 2k. A common rail would probably have better results, but theres not a whole lot that can be done on a VP truck.

Imo that's a ton of turbo for towing with a vp44. The results you got is what I would expect, with the lack of precise timing and fuel control on the vp trucks they don't stand a chance driving decent with bigger chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I was expecting it to do a little worse. Not that the truck did a great job, but considering how often I tow it's good enough.

We have them on 3 diff vp trucks with our injectors and 2nd gen kit and auto. 2 on stick trucks. With bad tuning, they all run bad, and with a tight converter, they run bad. drive pressure with .91T4 is less than 1:1 at full throttle on all 3 autos and they don't run hot. They are 250-300* cooler on egt cruising at 60mph than the phat shafts or box s366. If you have any issues towing, you have an issue somewhere. You have to have a good injector, the right stall, good tuning, and a good T4 exhaust manifold or heat WILL be an issue.

Commonrails can pull trailers with them like runnin an HE351 with the right supporting modifications.

Last edited:
We have them on 3 diff vp trucks with our injectors and 2nd gen kit and auto. 2 on stick trucks. With bad tuning, they all run bad, and with a tight converter, they run bad. drive pressure with .91T4 is less than 1:1 at full throttle on all 3 autos and they don't run hot. They are 250-300* cooler on egt cruising at 60mph than the phat shafts or box s366. If you have any issues towing, you have an issue somewhere. You have to have a good injector, the right stall, good tuning, and a good T4 exhaust manifold or heat WILL be an issue.

Commonrails can pull trailers with them like runnin an HE351 with the right supporting modifications.
What are they towing? What size injectors? What is the "bad tuning"? And lastly, what is a 2nd Gen kit for a second gen truck?

With bad tuning, they all run bad, and with a tight converter, they run bad.

Tuning is what I am curious about. Genuinely. I had a low stall converter with a 67.7 and a vp. Was less than impressed. Stall was tightened for another setup in mind, only reason I had it.

What are they towing? What size injectors? What is the "bad tuning"? And lastly, what is a 2nd Gen kit for a second gen truck?
Pretty much the equivalent of what you know as a 2nd Gen kit for the 3rd and 4th. It enables a T4 based charger to work without using a rigged up charge pipe or POS intake.

As stated above the 80/73 sxe turbine needs heat and alot of it. Ryan Lenehans statement about drive pressure being less than 1:1 with the .91 T4 really is a FACT. This turbine flows likes a fire hose once lit.

My experiences with the .91 with 2900US tuning and 50% injectors would max drive at 72psi with 60-65psi boost. All while egts wouldn't ever touch 1200* even when at 115mph.

Now. I swapped the 1.0 to prepare for more fuel and with the same fueling and tuning that tiny change in the housing size flowed a ton more air. Even with the compounds if I rolled into it at 70mph my boost would jump to 60psi and almost as fast as it rose linear with drive pressure, I could watch the DP fall to 40-45 while maintaining 55psi boost. Heat would maintain around 1000* CRUISING at 115.

Wonder how a t4 diverter valve , bd t4 manifold with external 44mm gate with a 1.10 housing would do? I can report back after i finish my daughters build if everyone is interested.

Wonder how a t4 diverter valve , bd t4 manifold with external 44mm gate with a 1.10 housing would do? I can report back after i finish my daughters build if everyone is interested.

Honestly if its the T4 for the 80mm wheel doubt youd need even the 1.1!

Do you have any experience with a diverter valve? I've been thinking about getting one to make the truck more responsive on the street.

Back