towing with stock auto 03 ext cab short bed

CTD03

One Hot 03
Question about weight and truck with the auto.

How much weight are you guys pulling.

the trailer is a 4 horse with living quarters. 24' long

Weight is 14000-14500 loaded.

This is our first time getting a goose neck horse trailer and i am a little worried about the auto handling all this weight

What do you guys do to the truck to handle this weight

I have a list of items i want to do

extra tranny cooler...

the truck has 4.10 gears if that helps but its all stock.

help me out guys thanks

Air bags help a lot. I love them. Other than that, I doubt you will have a problem with only 14K and 4.10:1 gears. A billet torque converter would help.

Gooseneck and short bed isn't the best combination.

Tobin

Air bags help a lot. I love them. Other than that, I doubt you will have a problem with only 14K and 4.10:1 gears. A billet torque converter would help.

Gooseneck and short bed isn't the best combination.

Tobin

already have the air bags ordered.

I put about 30K miles on mine in a 6 month period, running Smarty TnT 5, and probably 20K of those miles were with at least 12K behind the truck.

I say get a trans temp gauge and go for it.

At a minimum I would put in a single billet torque converter (ask about a lower stall speed) and a shift kit or a valve body. The torque converter is weak from the factory. The reason for the shift kit or more expensive complete valve body is to increase line pressure. That clamps the clutches in the transmission harder so slipping is much less likely to happen.

Here is one suggestion for upgrading your transmission for towing.
Stock Transmission Upgrade List Sticky - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

well just looked at another trailer weight is 14350 gggrrreeeaaattt... glad this is her truck pulling it. I think it's time for me to put a goose neck in mine just to go get that truck when the tranny goes, will have to talk about transmission upgrades this winter.

Back