Towing with the 727

jeremy153624

My grandpa is about to buy a 89 dodge 250 with the t727 auto transmission. He is mostly going to be towing with it on the interstate, nothing to heavy maybe 8000 lbs max. Just wondering how well these autos hold up. Thanks

Put a good cooler on them and a trans temp gauge. Also a mild shift kit wouldnt hurt. Being as they do not have a lock up converter like the 94-current trucks, they can build heat pretty quick. So if anything a good air/oil cooler and temp gauge.

Keeping it cool will help it survive.

Last edited:
After market converter would help the most. Get the stall rpm lower than your cruising rpm. Proper adjustments on the bands, shif kit, and a bigger cooler ( not tube and fin).
I also installed a magna fine filter inline for cheap insurance and it really seems to filter out alot of metallic and small debris. I'm going to install a more permanent, remote spin on filter soon. These transmissions are pretty stout. Just not that efficient. Once the flaws are delt with, they are awsome. Hope this helps.

Eric

I towed with one. They do build heat pretty quick but hold up just fine. Ended up going the nv route. So i have a fluidyne cooler with schroud and fan all the fittings for it and the transmission (an#8) and a goerand converter for sale if interested. The converter is there super low stall with the cooler it wouldnt run over 180 even on the hot days. I have the pipe to an fittings for the trans and the #10 to #8 reducers. You would just need the fittings and hose to make it complete. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Last edited:
if its a stock 89 727 it will have 307 rears and unless you get a better converter you will have heat issues pulling 3 chickens in a wheel barrow .My 90 tows night and day better with a better converter

So far my grandpa loves it, hes already hauled his Allis Chalmers WC to a tractor show about an hour away. He said it pulls great and stops well too, I guess we will see how it does when he puts the goose neck behind it and 3 tractors on it very soon. I told him to keep an eye on his gauges, the truck has a trans temp, egt, boost, and engine temp gauge.

We hauled 22,000 pounds total with my brother 90 and that thing amazed the hell out of me. Couldn't go 55 but it made up money.

I've found through experience that the earlier 727 torque converters seem tighter than the later versions in the 1991-1/2 through 1993 overdrive transmissions.

If you go with a tighter converter (The Goerend one offered above would be nice), run a 3200 spring, along with TIGHT throttle linkages and pull out the high RPM limit screw, it'll MPH down the road at around 65 mph, no problem.

I won't say that fuel mileage will be great running it that hard, though.

Mark.

bone stock 727 and interstates dont mix. I had 37's and a BD torque converter this lowered the highway rpms a ton but a stock truck tops out at 75 redlined.

I have a 727 - low stall convertor and a shift kit. Yes its way better then stock, but its still not great for towing. I have a cooler with a fan on it too. Still kills the fluid :D I prolly tow with 300hp I can push threw the convertor when its in play mode too @361whp

Next step for me is a 47rh and some 3:54's

Hook up the load and go...

I towed from Florida to Ohio and back to Florida in my 90 2wd with 3.07's and never had a single issue climbing any hills, holding speed, or passing, slowing down on some of the hills was another issue as I learned I was having rear brake issue BUT that is what the trailer brakes are for...

Truck has the stock tranny with unknown amount of miles on it. The odometer quit reading 11 years ago...

I have a 727 - low stall convertor and a shift kit. Yes its way better then stock, but its still not great for towing. I have a cooler with a fan on it too. Still kills the fluid :D I prolly tow with 300hp I can push threw the convertor when its in play mode too @361whp

Next step for me is a 47rh and some 3:54's

if it still over heats the trans with a good cooler, you're clutches are probably slipping

A few trucks have made 500-700rwhp with the 727...if you're towing, and tow like a normal person (drop down a gear on hills, turn the A/C off etc) you'll be more than fine.

Reverse went out of his truck the other day, took it to a guy who strictly rebuilds dodge autos. Reverse band broke, he ended up getting the whole trans rebuilt for 900 bucks and a new converter. Not to bad I didnt think. It shifts great now.

They are a pretty stout little transmission. I know I put mine through a lot. They are also pretty simple to rebuild as well. I ordered a video and a atsg manual for mine and away I went. Once you do it you won't be intimidated to do it again. Alot of fun actually.

Back