TP Filter

Billysgoat

The ANTI-BLING!
Anybody have some solid info on these? I've been looking at what little I can find and it's all "I've been told" kinda stuff. I want to start using some of the waste oil my family's collection of vehicles and equipment generates but after doing a bit of reading it needs some serious filtration. I have heard that a TP filter setup will get down to the 1 micron or smaller range, it's supposedly slow, but works.

The alternative to this would be some type of filter that is commercially available I can stick on the outlet of a pump and filter as I fill, just use more of a strainer to remove gross particles from the fluid. This would be used with waste oils of all types, the inline pump used on an 80's merc diesel is pretty good at running just about anything.

I would not use a TP filter in-line on the vehicle for fuel.

They do fantastic as bypass filters, either in oil or automatic transmission fluids.

But the key to them is low pressure, low flow. You will probably need to heat the oil to get it to flow through the TP.

That said, nothing in the price range filters better. They will filter sub-micronic. Very low filtration.

There are other options to consider. What you are probably going to find is that most of the information out there on PAPER makes it seem like you need this sub-micronic filtration. Fact of the matter is, 8um is TINY, and most over the counter bypass filters will filter in that range. To put it in perspective, the human red blood cell is around 8um (micron).. How much smaller do you want to go than that?

Here is some good info and reading I did a few years ago. We lost all the pictures during a server change.. I should really go snap a few new pictures one of these days:

http://www.nwbombers.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19867

My understanding is you run the oil thru the TP filter before dumping it into the engine. I have seen a setup where there was two jugs connected together using a TP housing fill up with dirty oil, flip, and let the magic happen. On the 24v I dont think you should run more than 25-30% WMO.

I would not use a TP filter in-line on the vehicle for fuel.

They do fantastic as bypass filters, either in oil or automatic transmission fluids.

But the key to them is low pressure, low flow. You will probably need to heat the oil to get it to flow through the TP.

That said, nothing in the price range filters better. They will filter sub-micronic. Very low filtration.

There are other options to consider. What you are probably going to find is that most of the information out there on PAPER makes it seem like you need this sub-micronic filtration. Fact of the matter is, 8um is TINY, and most over the counter bypass filters will filter in that range. To put it in perspective, the human red blood cell is around 8um (micron).. How much smaller do you want to go than that?

Here is some good info and reading I did a few years ago. We lost all the pictures during a server change.. I should really go snap a few new pictures one of these days:

http://www.nwbombers.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19867

Thanks for the info MD, what I was looking for. And no, this will not be as any kind of primary filter, the idea is to filter out the gunk and junk before it ever gets near a vehicle.

My understanding is you run the oil thru the TP filter before dumping it into the engine. I have seen a setup where there was two jugs connected together using a TP housing fill up with dirty oil, flip, and let the magic happen. On the 24v I dont think you should run more than 25-30% WMO.

Not planning to run in the goat, this is for the Merc DD that is a lot more forgiving of fuel types. What I have been reading though says the injectors tend to get picky about particulate matter so that's what I'm out to remove from the oil.

A tp is the best filter going.Frantz says you can use them for a fuel filter. This fella uses them for his trans, fuel, coolant, and oil.
click here

Back