TPS/APPS all effed up!!!

fordassassin

FordAssassin
2003 Dodge Ram with 305hp motor and NV5600. Problem is, anything above 3/4 throttle. The APPS % goes to 0 on scanner and I have already installed a new TPS under the battery. I have done recovery tunes from Bob and PPE. I have narrowed down all the wiring and cleaned them out.

All started after unloading PPE Hot +2 lite timing to stock mode. We thought maybe PPE sent us tune for Automatic truck, but even recovery tune from Bob didn't do anything different. Right when I turn the key over, I see a P2127 code. I clear it and turn key to ON position and the same code again. If I easy into the pedal, no skipping or shuttering. But if I stab the pedal, it will go dead for a few seconds and also throw a P2122 and P2123 code with the P2127.

I've tried both PPE and Smarty. Still no luck with both recovery tunes. I am thinking about taking the truck to Dodge and having them flash the PCM. Heard that should solve my problem from what Google searches have told me. I am really tired of this truck since I have only had it a month and invested a lot of money into this truck to not even be able to hot rod the truck.

P2122 Pedal Position Sensor 1 Low
P2123 Pedal Position Sensor 1 High
P2127 Pedal Validation Switch 2 Low

DO I NEED A NEW PCM or can I get it re-flashed? Maybe PPE should be doing something about this?

I assume you have done the reset for the APPS after the ECM updates. The manual states that it is necessary for the ECM to learn the APPS idle voltage if is has been replaced, flashed or recalibrated. If not it can cause codes and problems. The same is true after replacing the APPS itself.

Already left battery unhooked for 2 hours with key on and then slowly pushed pedal down on with key on n let off slowly. Done that.

Guess time to Flash PCM?

2003 Dodge Ram with 305hp motor and NV5600. Problem is, anything above 3/4 throttle. The APPS % goes to 0 on scanner and I have already installed a new TPS under the battery. I have done recovery tunes from Bob and PPE. I have narrowed down all the wiring and cleaned them out.

All started after unloading PPE Hot +2 lite timing to stock mode. We thought maybe PPE sent us tune for Automatic truck, but even recovery tune from Bob didn't do anything different. Right when I turn the key over, I see a P2127 code. I clear it and turn key to ON position and the same code again. If I easy into the pedal, no skipping or shuttering. But if I stab the pedal, it will go dead for a few seconds and also throw a P2122 and P2123 code with the P2127.

I've tried both PPE and Smarty. Still no luck with both recovery tunes. I am thinking about taking the truck to Dodge and having them flash the PCM. Heard that should solve my problem from what Google searches have told me. I am really tired of this truck since I have only had it a month and invested a lot of money into this truck to not even be able to hot rod the truck.

P2122 Pedal Position Sensor 1 Low
P2123 Pedal Position Sensor 1 High
P2127 Pedal Validation Switch 2 Low

DO I NEED A NEW PCM or can I get it re-flashed? Maybe PPE should be doing something about this?

Under the battery?? Enlighten me please. I'm replacing my sensor on the bell crank on the left of the motor. Did seem to find a good source for them and its cheap- $160.00 shipped
Contact Us

The T.P.S is under the drivers side battery. Got to pull the fenderwell out to get it apart. Unhook the cable and sensor. Then install new one.

Some APPS were installed under the driver side battery case and some were installed on the intake in the Bell Crank assembly. I never did figure out what determined the location. Could be related to manual vs auto, but I am not sure. The service manual for 2003-2004 shows install/uninstall for both locations.

Curious if you figured this out. I'm having the same exact issue w/ my '03, same codes, everything.

GlennTX - what led to your problem? Similar issue w/ programmers or an APPS/TPS replacement, or did your problem just spontaneously start one day?

I have an 03 HO, w/ the APPS on the intake side of the engine. Just trying to determine if this is something I can avoid, or something I should plan on happening to me too, eventually...

Not sure what led to it. I bought the truck a few months ago strictly to tow my rockrawler every once in a while, so I can sort of live with it since I hardly drive it and it's only a problem when I almost floor it, which is very rare in itself.

My apps is under the battery, and I've replaced it, no change. Cleaned batt. connections, checked grounds, ecm connector, and apps connector. Took it to a buddy at the dealership, reflashed the ECM yesterday, no change.

I didn't have to pay for the reflash, but did pay for the apps (ouch), and I'd like to sort this out before I drop any more time/$$ on the wrong stuff.

Oh, and my buddy erased all the codes w/ the Dodge scanner, but p0602 and p2127 would come back instantly. He suspects the ECM is bad, but not sure.

hmm... i actually replaced my ECM a couple years ago hunting down an injector problem (blargh). hopefully that will dodge this particular bullet... i'll definitely keep an eye on this thread, tho.

Yes I did figure the problem out. Sent the ECM back to PPE and no problem since. The tuner did something and it caused the ECM to think things. That was all PPE problems.

Also, could be your batteries being weak. I have seen that a few times, where batteries are weak and cause some weird problems with our trucks.

Oof, that's what I feared. Thanks for the reply.

I may just get a programmer, put an egg under the pedal, and call it good. :)

watchin this one

have same issue with an 05, have had it for a while now, FWIW, mine threw several codes out,

P0483
P2122
P2121

and P0541

IE the fan clutch, the APPS validity rationality, and APPS sensor 1 low, Recently in hounding down the problem, replacing the fan clutch SEEMS TO HAVE SOLVED my issue, as per my mechanic KNOCK ON WOOD... The P0541 has something to do with air intake relay one low..., that is the only one that i have ignored for the most part, seeing as it has nothing to do really with the FC or the APPS.. and requires a 50 dollar barometric sensor to replace it

I did reset the APPS three or four times with no success, found a couple online, they are on national back order so they are a PITA to find right now, replaced them, no avail, did check the ecm connections and ground connections and they seemed ok, but im not good with electronics... which led me to take my truck and leave it till the problem is solved 100 percent with my mechanic.. whom i trust 100% now its been in his hands for three weeks, i am in no hurry to get it back, plus my dad wants my stock exhaust, with his 5 inch straight coming to my truck

from what i seem to understand... the APPS sensor works directly off RPMS and the fan clutch, and if the motor is not getting cooled off enough, BAM causes a check engine light to come on, (this was determined with the computer on the truck), cuts the fuel, and causes the momentarily dead pedal, usually problem is solved quick when i just let off the throttle, and press it again gently, and truck goes on like nothing.. The check engine light also goes back off within a few start/off cycles of the truck.... to get the CEL to come on tho and to kill the truck like this tho, would take some effort, harder than normal driving usually over 2200 rpms... the replacement of the fan clutch and reset of the APPS has solved this problem, as per what i understand right now, hopefully that is the case....

this theoretically (GlennTx, and fordassassin) might actually be why ur truck could be acting up as well? especially if it only does this under heavy throttle...

I have ruled out the batteries, being that they are no more than six months old, but optima red tops are in the works to kick these out when they start to go..But from reading on other forums, and similar topics, the batteries should not be ruled out for causing wonky codes.

as of right now, i have no idea what codes the truck is throwing, being that i am out of town, or what the status on it is, but i was having all the same issues minus the 2127 one, hopefully it dont come up anymore..

but apps issues, i know them well and share yalls pain... they freakin suck!

ill update on this one soon, and for those of you that dont know, the APPS on the 04.5 and up is an entire pedal assemly, expensive as sin to purchase, simple to replace, and location is right in the drivers footwell...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's the ecm now. No worries, my smarty showed up today and works fine.

I do happen to have a spankin' new APPS though if anyone's looking for one. :)

Have you measured the output voltage from the tps with a volt meter? You should see around .23v at idle and somewhere above 3.9 volts (or so) at WOT.

Malcolm

I've got APPS problems as well. That's how I ended up with the time in my sig. One of these days I'll pull the pins out for the 6 wires to the pedal and change them out.

you figued that someone in the aftermarket would come up with an idea like timbos by now?

whoever does that is gonna make a fortune, and if its as failproof and proven as timbos..

ILL TAKE THREE RIGHT OFF THE BATT!!!

FWIW tho, i dont think these things are designed to go WOT anyways, seems the electronics just cannot keep up...

Back