trac bars

kypowerstroke

OK guys i was having a problem with wheel hop, so i built a set of trac bars and now when i break loose i hop even worse whats the deal i have measured and loosened and tightend them down i cant figure out what to do, I need help, I was told i need a shackel in the front to give the axle some forward and bac travel becuse the wheel base always moves and i understand that but i see trucks runnin the same setup as mine every day help me please anything would be good:ford:

2001 ps 6 speed, the bars are from the trans bac inline with the frame. i used sch. 40 pipe and tractor top links (I know cheap) if you know how to put pics on here let me know and i will try idk how to yet

open a photobucket account and load them then copy the img code# and paste on this forum

2001 ps 6 speed, the bars are from the trans bac inline with the frame. i used sch. 40 pipe and tractor top links (I know cheap) if you know how to put pics on here let me know and i will try idk how to yet

Where and how did you put them on the rear axle ?
You really need pictures, do as not enough smoke said

The scheduled 40 pipe isn't enough, they're probably flexing. You need scheduled 80 minumum.

.2xx minimum, I've seen quite a few scheduled 40 bars bend.
I'll have to post pictures later, photobucket is all jacked up.

.2xx minimum, I've seen quite a few scheduled 40 bars bend.
I'll have to post pictures later, photobucket is all jacked up.

rob this is sch 40 and they hold on a 800hp dodge
0830091804-00.jpg

Hmm, must have just been bad luck. Pull with it at all?

Here are the ones I made for my buddies Duramax. He said it planted much better after install and stopped the hopping, but he blew his head gasket soon after and it's been sitting since.
6.5' long 1.75" sch 80.

CIMG0135.jpg

The front mounts weren't finished in these next two.
PART951286738711322.jpg

PART951286738673856.jpg

I had a picture of some 5' sch 40s that bent, but I can't find it.

Last edited:
if there is an extreme angle of deflection, then the 40's will bend, like with short bars. But if you are running long, triangulated bars, then more of the stress is transfered into linear force.

RJM06590 the bars that were or still are on your truck are sch 40 if i remember correctly and they held just fine when i had that truck

Sch80 is overkill, and allows Young's Moulus to factor into a failure mode sooner in the design & operating envelopes.

I don't know how many hundreds of traction bar kits we've made over the last 6 years for Dodge, Chevy/GMC & Ford truck applications - never a single failure.
We've tested bar lengths from 3' - 8', from 3/8" wall down to huge-OD stuff you could pierce with a Bic pen... all successful - the design of the bars in general & the mounting brackets in particular is key to not breaking and great performance.

RJM06590 the bars that were or still are on your truck are sch 40 if i remember correctly and they held just fine when i had that truck

Wow are they really? Yeah absolutely no problems with them.

Sch80 is overkill, and allows Young's Moulus to factor into a failure mode sooner in the design & operating envelopes.

I don't know how many hundreds of traction bar kits we've made over the last 6 years for Dodge, Chevy/GMC & Ford truck applications - never a single failure.
We've tested bar lengths from 3' - 8', from 3/8" wall down to huge-OD stuff you could pierce with a Bic pen... all successful - the design of the bars in general & the mounting brackets in particular is key to not breaking and great performance.

How would a thicker walled bar bend easier.

Young's Modulus...

sorry for the previous typo - dang SS race has us functioning on ~3 hours sleep/day. :banghead:

Given those formulas dom would be the weakest unless I read it wrong?

Yeah all the bars I make are sch 40 and te biggest thing I make sure of is how the bracket on the axle is. I make sure that it's a 90 degree angle from the bar to the axle bracket so that you are putting all the pressure straight down the bar and not up in a way that would bend te bar. If you get a perfect 90 degree angle from the bar to the bracket you could use 1 1/2 exhaust tube and not have a problem because you just have a linear force down the tubing

Actually, heims negate the necessity for 90* lever angles to generate pure compression loads.

Okay so i started making traction bars for my truck out of 2" pipe 1/4" thickness. Overkill or not? I had it laying around the shop so i used what i had to save some money

Yes, but probably not enough to hurt.

Free covers a multitude of sins!:D

Back