Traction bar noise

VMacKenzie

I did a rear suspension revision on my '98.5 2wd club cab by removing most leaf springs and installing some used coil springs. Rides a lot better but the traction bars I put in to eliminate axle wrap make noise and thunk when hitting certain bumps, as well as going back and forth between drive and reverse. They are pretty heavy duty and recommended by a few on CompD, they have heim joints at both ends and I'm wondering if that's the issue. I remember seeing a negative post or two about heim joint bars but not much detail as to why. I've played with preload numerous times, talked to the vendor about adjustment, nothing works. Oddly they came with jam nuts and only one end, since the end threads for the heim ends have a lot of play they were pretty loose. So I ordered some large reverse thread nuts and that helped a lot, but they are still pretty darn annoying. I have a tight truck so anything not pinned down good or secure or even slightly clunky becomes rather obvious on rough roads. I'm thinking I should have gone a different route, something with poly bushings at one end and a zero play swivel joint of some sort at the other (if there is such a thing). I would expect good articulation without binding.

Last edited:
Post pictures, but it's probably just a heim or two getting worn out from the environment (winters and rain).

Most all Hiem joints i have seen will eventually make noise. I only use poly bushing on links that I make for this reason.

i know some hiem joints will stay tight. Just doesn't seem to be any of the ones that I have ever purchased.LOL

This guy sells some pretty legit heims:
http://bulletproofsteering.com/

I usually just get mine from RuffStuff and they are cheap enough to swap them every year or two and not be too mad about it. Maybe I'll get some Johnny Joints or Ballistic Joins at some point.

Most all Hiem joints i have seen will eventually make noise. I only use poly bushing on links that I make for this reason.

i know some hiem joints will stay tight. Just doesn't seem to be any of the ones that I have ever purchased.LOL

Yeah and when I was at your place didn't you say something like "what articulation??"

My bars have been rattly/clunky since I put them on. The heims are beefy but are definitely a ways short of aircraft quality. I have the bolt-on variety but everything is torqued down nice and snug.

The heim end threads are 1-1/8" 7 pitch. I think the best way to fix the bars is replace the heim joint at one end with ones from Bulletproof or BMF and weld bushing style ends on the other. That should greatly reduce or eliminate any chance of play. Would probably make most sense to put the heims forward to reduce road spray.

The ruff stuff heims are pretty nice for the price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The ruff stuff heims are pretty nice for the price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd rate them at a 7/10 on quality, but they are priced cheaper than the garbage at Tractor Supply! That's why I just replace them every couple of years.

Back