Traction bars?

cmont58

Yankee
I know this subject has been beat to death*bdh* but I'm wondering if anyone has used chromoly tubing for there bars. Thoughts are you would be able to use a thinner lighter tubing and maintain the same strength. I've searched but have not found anyone doing this. Opinions please.

It's been done. Are you drag racing? How long of a bar are you thinking about running?

The truck is my DD but sees the drag strip a good bit and maybe a couple pulls this year. Bars will be about 60" long.

I know its annoying when people suggest something entirely different but any reason you couldn't buy or build some cal tracs? They are great for dragging, great for a DD and you don't seem to be into pulling all that much. Plus they are light.

Thought about doing cal tracs but, even though it sounds dumb I like the looks of a nicely done set of traction bars better.

Nah man it doesn't sound dumb. It is your truck and your money so do whatever necessary to make yourself happy with the end product.

So is it worth it in weight reduction to use chromoly or just use a thicker wall steel pipe?

I used chromoly for my drag link, tie rod, track bar, and control arms. I'd say it's worth it. There are a couple guys on here that could help you calculate the size material you'd need -- hopefully they can chime in. If i had to throw out a guess, i'd say you could get away with 2" o.d. .120 wall 4130N.

Back