Traction Bars

Dual EE

How do traction bars help w/traction?

In my case I have a issue w/the lack of traction (2wd) at the line and have to launch w/very low boost. Will traction bars help with this?

Traction bars help prevent your axle from twisting when you launch. I also have to launch with low boost (2-3psi) so I am going to try our slicks (10-15psi). I expect the traction bars to help prevent carnage...

Dual EE said:

In my case I have a issue w/the lack of traction (2wd) at the line and have to launch w/very low boost. Will traction bars help with this?

Have you played around with tire pressure? And how heavy a burnout are you doing? You might need a little more heat in them tires.....

Hey Duallie,
Tire pressure is set at 40#'s in the rear. I don't do burn outs, I didn't think it would help w/street tires. So thats why I was inquiring about the traction bars. I thought they may help transfer some front end weight to the rear.

r-n-r,
Let me know how those slicks work. I am sure they are the ticket for 2wd traction.

Oh why yes a healthy burnout works great for SOME street tires, as well as adjustments to the tire pressure. And the traction compound that's sprayed onto the track works best when you put some heat into the tires.......

*look at my Duallie in the water box at E-town -in my Avatar- Truxxus Mudders seem to like heat from a healthy burnout.....

Last edited:
Dual EE said:

The bar redirects the axle wrap sending this motion forcing transfer to the front pivot. This frontal motion causes the weight to shift towards the rear. Good set of bars will take three 10ths off your time (Michelin’s 30lbs @10 lbs launch) ahhhhh, yeehawwww!

Yesterday, my goat ran into an electric fence:woohoo:

will they work for me too? I just ran a 14.1 on the track but I launch in 4 Hi. it bucks of the line like a 10,000 pound bull. my tires are at 45pounds(and bald from burnouts).

The traction bars I installed on my truck did a couple of things that I noticed.

1.. They stopped axle wrap, like they are supposed to.

2.. They helped "plant" the rear to the track. That's associated/related to axle wrap.

3.. They stopped axle hop. That's axle wrap also.

All these things are caused by axle wrap and my bars stopped it. Just like the CalTracs, they can be adjusted to preload. For my money, a very minimal investment for the corrective measure they provide.

..Preston..

Attachments

• DSCF0002 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0002 (Small).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Any of you guys rigs have helper springs?

I got a little trick that acts like a Pinion Snubber- with out the weight of the bars....

Alot of the GM guys(myself included) just clamp their springs in front of the axle. I clamp my helpers up tight to the rest of the spring pack. Stops(or greatly reduces axle wrap.

Try this economy- hilljack pinion snubber I came up with by taking off the forward helper spring stops, drilling and tapping a hole in the front leading edge of stop and inserting a ol factory upper/ or lower control arm bushing from any ol mopar with a K-framed front suspension, reinstall stop with the bushing and viola -hilljack pinion snubber.....

Works pretty good, and without added weight of bars and didn't cost me chit but the time it took to root around the garage and drilling holes.

Last edited:
turbotom,
What's a set up like yours run?

IdahoRob,

What do you use to clamp your springs?

Fletcher,
Would 30#'s apply to a dually also?

Dual EE said:
Hey Duallie,
Tire pressure is set at 40#'s in the rear. I don't do burn outs, I didn't think it would help w/street tires. So thats why I was inquiring about the traction bars. I thought they may help transfer some front end weight to the rear.

r-n-r,
Let me know how those slicks work. I am sure they are the ticket for 2wd traction.

http://www.calvertracing.com/

With my truck being dropped..and having overload springs...I unwittingly implemented RacingDually's idea.

The front part of my overload is always in contact with the snubber bracket for it. When I dropped it I noticed that...and thought exactly what he thought about it's consequences....so I left it alone.

I still had some axle wrap though....so I added the Cal Tracs too.
I have zero wrap or hop now.

In the past I purchased a set of used tires for $20ea, mounted them on a pair of borrowed wheels, filled them with 15# of air, and did a good burn out. This definately helped me launch with more boost.

UNBROKEN said:
With my truck being dropped..and having overload springs...I unwittingly implemented RacingDually's idea.

The front part of my overload is always in contact with the snubber bracket for it. When I dropped it I noticed that...and thought exactly what he thought about it's consequences....so I left it alone.

I still had some axle wrap though....so I added the Cal Tracs too.
I have zero wrap or hop now.

Caltracs are nice, and solve alot of those issues... but alot more money than testing out 2 old snubber bushings and 5mins with a drill. It just might do the trick for him and on the cheap.
When you say your truck is dropped- did it use different rear springs?
And my overload had about 3" before it contacts the stop.

Back