Tractor Fluid? How about Compressor Oil?

bgreen776

White Collar Fabricator
One of the long time racers stopped by our pit this weekend and suggested that we try using Compressor Oil in our transmission to help keep from burning up torque converter clutches. He mentioned that many of the high HP powerglide guys are running compressor oil. After talking to a few other long time racers (all gasoline, nitro, and alcohol guys) in the pits about Type F and Tractor Fluid I thought I'd try to get some opinions from the big diesel folks as well.

I've read several threads on here about tractor fluid, but haven't seen anyone mention compressor oil yet. Any experience you could share would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.nealtrans.com/techinfo.html

From this weekend...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
I do know it's popular with the powerglides. I think it's better to ask why the converters are not lasting vs patching with fluid, either need to switch to a better converter or change stall/lock earlier/spend less time spooling. Converters last many many passes running 9.50's at full weight with Dex III.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, we did switch converters. From an ATS fat shaft to a PATC stock size. DPC Quad Disc will be the next one we try. We also went away from the nightmare pcs valve body to a 46re with a TFOD-3.

Isnt hyguard 10w and compressor oil 30w? I would think that would make a huge diffrence in stall

My experience is that compressors spec non detergent 30 to 50 wt depending on ambient operating Temps.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

The compressor oil in question is for use in rotary screw compressors, to lubricate the gear drive and cool the compressor.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
I see that amsoils is a 20w but im just sayin that our joy and sullairs always called for 30w

Ah. We use Ingersoll SSR, its super thin, and they say its NOT an oil. I'm assuming its glycol based, but I haven't looked into it yet.

As a generality... compressors use utilize a straight SAE oil. That means no detergents. My understanding of that logic is so contaminants settle to the bottom. In a transmission it may work if you tear down frequently. Works well in compressors because there is no filtration, and limited if any pressurised oil paths.

Not sure what you are talking about Shainer. Every industrial compressor, which the compressor oil in question is designed for, uses filters and pressurized oil passages. Maybe some people are thinking about shop air compressors?

Personally I thought you were talking about shop air compressors.....that's what spiked my interest.

Ah. We use Ingersoll SSR, its super thin, and they say its NOT an oil. I'm assuming its glycol based, but I haven't looked into it yet.

We use IR oil as well. Talk about expensive. I am not sure off the top of my head if it is the SSR but ours is really thin as well. It stinks like no other.

Not sure what you are talking about Shainer. Every industrial compressor, which the compressor oil in question is designed for, uses filters and pressurized oil passages. Maybe some people are thinking about shop air compressors?

LOL I would say your assumption is correct. Some confused people in here.

That being said, 30 weight would be fine in a trans as well. Look in a Allison 4560 book or 740 book or I am sure many others. They list a ton of oil types. Engine oil being several of them. 15w40 is used ALOT in the big allisons.

I was speaking of our screw compressors, apparently IRs use something totally diffrent for oil

Personally I thought you were talking about shop air compressors.....that's what spiked my interest.

Also guilty lol

Back