tractor hydralic fluid

Pvauto, which tractor fluid did you use and why did you cut it with dexron? I want to do mine today but I want to use straight hydraulic fluid. I'm thinking John Deere hyguard.

i used orielys green top house brand. i mixed it cause i wasnt sure what was gonna happen and thought maybe straight hydaulic oil wouldve been too thick. not to mention hydraulic doesnt have a color so its hard to see on the dipsticks and any leaks

just wanted to edit my high pressure. apparantly i wasnt locking up on the hoist last night. test drove it with gauges hooked up and pressure went to 180psi locked at 2000 rpm. thats much higher than my previous 155psi

Anyidea if this can be done on a 4r100? Its behind a 7.3l the reason I'm asking is it seems like my TC has to high of a stall and little thicker fluid will help with that. Just dont want the Hyrdo fluid to take out the seals or something.

Thanks
Mike

I'm highly interested, but alot of people posting don't have Sig, with there truck year and trans. I have an 03 with the 48re. Is anyone runnign it in a 48?

I would like to try it in my Allison, would hyguard be the way to go?

I flushed mine on saturday, it's a stock 48RE with beaucoup miles on it (250000). I didn't notice a whole lotta difference in anything except maybe pulls a little harder in the mid-range 1800-2400 rpm. It still goes to 3200rpm if I step on it hard enough and I was hoping it would tighten up the converter a little but it didn't seem to. I guess I'm gonna have to pony up and buy a converter and valvebody...

Anybody also put tractor hydraulic fluid into their transfer case? I'm swapping in a rebuilt trans so I'll have a empty trans to fill all the way up at 50/50 mix w/ DIII but I'd guess that I'll have some left over and I'd like use it in t-case so I don't need buy more $$$ ATF?

Anybody also put tractor hydraulic fluid into their transfer case? I'm swapping in a rebuilt trans so I'll have a empty trans to fill all the way up at 50/50 mix w/ DIII but I'd guess that I'll have some left over and I'd like use it in t-case so I don't need buy more $$$ ATF?

It will make enough extra drag in the transfer case with the thicker fluid to create a measurable drop in fuel economy. Save $$$ on fluid, lose money slowly over the life of it due to fuel economy.

I have my new conveter coming in a few days. I would like to try this little trick also.
Two questions first: 1- Will it work with a 48re?
2- does it work with the stock filter in the pan setup?

I let my trucks warm up for a while in cold weather. Both of my trucks have real tight convertors and will kill the motor if you don't give them some time.

What stall speed is your converter? Also what mix ratio you go? Or straight?

Im going to run a 1500rpm stall converter in my truck, I think that's a bit low so what you said concern me a bit but I'm going to go 50/50 so that might helps.

When I worked at the Dodge Dealer in the 80's I'm 54.

The warrenty trans would come from the factory with clear fluid
Never thought much about it.

Later i looked at Heat as the Killer, and thought about tractors/ plowing and the load.
I use tractor fluid in everything , even the p/s

DraginmoparsBIG-Copy.jpg

Is there another way to flush the trans if you don't have the machine? Also if I only drop the pan and change my filter can I just put back in a gallon of hydraulic fluid, since you only lose 4-5 quarts doing a pan drop.

What would be the best thing to do here. Dealership want to charge 250 to flush the trans?

You could disconnect a cooler hose off the cooler in front of the radiator and put the end of the hose in a bucket of some sort and start the truck in neutral and let it pump the fluid out while you're refilling it at the same time. Try to run 4 gallons thru it or until it's coming out of the cooler hose clean.

Just mix the hydraulic fluid with what's left in the system. That way you'll still have a little color so you can easily see the fill level on the dip stick.

When you say with what's left in the system is that what is left in there after you drop the pan.

on a stock system and you drop the pan and change the filter you roughly only loose 6 qts. stock systems hold about 16qts total. you can flush the system out by unhooking a cooler line(pressure side) and firing the truck up and waiting for it to stop pumping oil out,shut it off, add 6 more qts, and continueing to add oil and running it again and so on till you get all the oil out...but i dont recommend it cause you risk scoring the pump.

I think my 160k stock 4l80e is a good candidate for this.

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

I think my 160k stock 4l80e is a good candidate for this.

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

i would highly suggest you to add a bigger external cooler on yuor truck if you havnt done so. iv replaced a bunch of those trannies due to overheating

Back