Trailer Plug Wire Harness

PVXCummins

Here to Learn
Just bought a 1996 12V automatic as a tow rig for my puller. I installed a factory hitch I had laying around in the truck, but there is no wire harness anywhere for the 7 prong trailer plug at the rear of the truck. Previous owner took the old hitch off because it rotted out a few years ago. I crawled around the truck and traced wires, but I can't find the old wire harness for the trailer plug. Used the Google machine to look for wire harnesses for the truck and found one made by Curt on JC Whitney for around $70. Has anyone had luck with an aftermarket wire harness or have another place to get one? $70 doesn't seem to bad but I want to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks in advance.

Junkyard. If it's 94-98 and 7 pin, the harnesses will all be the same.

Does your truck have a brake controller or the plug under the dash for one?

Junkyard. If it's 94-98 and 7 pin, the harnesses will all be the same.

Does your truck have a brake controller or the plug under the dash for one?

You know, I was under the dash this weekend finishing a 5 speed swap on it and I didn't even look for a plug. I do know the PO towed a 16' lawn trailer with it a few years ago. I assume it's still under there. I had half the mind to take the wire harness out of my puller, but I don't want to be hassled with tracing wires and cutting loom and re-wrapping etc. kinda the same reason I don't want to rip a junk yard harness out. But it is good to know that 94-98 will work, I assumed that, just good to have feedback.

Last edited:
You don't need a new harness to wire up trailer brakes. You probably have the connector under the dash already. It looks like this:
plug.jpg

And you plug in this Hopkins Part #47755:
47755.1.jpg

Even if you don't have it, this is a typical wiring schematic for trailer brakes which is straight forward:
2010-08-31_121006_brake_control_wiring_diagram_500.jpg

The easiest thing is to pull from a yard... then it's all factory. No dealing with custom wiring, tapping other factory wires, butt connectors and such.

Back