tranny options

cm cows

Here by the owl
ok heres the deal my tranny hates me for all the fuel the pickup has now so i was wondering what would be a good tranny setup? a full built tranny would be nice but, that involes somthing i dont have, money. the pickup tows a 4-6000lbs trailer on the weekends but its not every sinlge weekend. sled pulling aint in my future and drag racing could be an option once i get more air but that another issue, but racing will be at a minum. my drivin style is pretty laid back but i like to get on it and show the gassers what's up!

ok my idea would be a georend tc, vb of some sort and maybe a billet input shaft. i am open to suggestions, i know that this can be expesive, but its is a very important part of the truck so let me know what works. mods are in the sig. and if it matters the turbo will be up graded in a few years to a 62/12 or somthing to that extent.

lets here some ideas!!

TC, and VB are good starts, especially when money is tight.
You have to remember that with the added pressure that a done VB will add, your clutches will struggle.
You may get by for a while, but your going to need some upgraded clutches and steals if you start pullin the sled more than once or twice or put on some burnout smoke shows.
It's hard to say....some guys seem to get away with less.
But everything I try to just do the minimum on usually goes south fast.
There are other guys starting to figure out these trannys, too.
I think John at Floor it Diesel has had a few compliments on his tranny work.

I liked your old avatar better!

Last edited:
What he said, get the TC and VB now, then start saving your pennies to build the rest of the tranny when you can. The good part is unless you burn the clutches badly you will already have a goodly portion of the $$$ spent on parts you can use with the full built unit.

with my extremly limited knowlegede of what tranny's invlove can you adjust the clutchs and other things that can benift from being adjusted.

if i had a set of twins like that just settin around i probally wouldnt be on here right now :D

You can't really adjust the clutches.
You can adjust the second gear band, however.
I would only let someone that knows what they are doing attempt this.
I know many guys that get by with this adjustment for several more months when they really need a rebuild.

Jcummins said:
You can't really adjust the clutches.
You can adjust the second gear band, however.
I would only let someone that knows what they are doing attempt this.
I know many guys that get by with this adjustment for several more months when they really need a rebuild.

I have been running stock clutches in tranny, for over 3 years and it has seen the sled many times. Stock good shape clutches will hold 700HP, if not more with a good VB.

I agree, some people can do it.
But you probly change your fluid on a schedule and know what not to do to an auto to keep it alive.
Most trannys I see are very abused. Welded clutch packs and lots of trash in the pan. You know it's bad when the filter wieghs 4 pounds, and the mag. plug has a 2 inch frow.
To prevent this all I said was to do the VB and TC. That way you don't get the slipping. Line pressure is what saves clutches.

so i figure that my hp #'s should be around 400-430 when i get more air but no where near that untill then. so a tc and a vb and adjusting the linepressure will do the trick? and also i get the tranny flushed on a regualar bases

THe VB will adjust the line pressure for you. If you have any kind of miles, I would through in a standard rebuild kit and a new input shaft, as well as the TC and VB. Call Dave Goerend and talk to him, he will steer you right.

Back