trans cooler location?

SCHOOL BUS

DLRA T-O
my dually has two derale trans coolers under the bed. is that a good palce for them or should i mount them in the bed? i figured in the bed will be cooler air, but under the aire will get more air flow.

suggestions?

I'd say if both coolers have fans with shrouds attached the airflow would be the same, but depending on conditions above or below there would be a different 'ambient' temp. I personally would be concerned with road debris hitting the coolers underneath the bed, unless they are guarded... then you get into the situation of not blocking off too much airflow.

Is the dually race only application? I have some ideas I would like to share, give me a call ...

if this is for a race only truck, why not build a scoop for them under the bed, so they are out of the way

Mine is under the bed and most I see are. I guess the main difference is would you rather see it in the bed or take the risk with road debris? With the fan mounted on top of the cooler it will be protected ok. It would take a large piece or good hit to puncture the cooler.

Cooler location also has a small impact on weight distribution. Although the cooler only weighs a few pounds, removing the heavy factory heat exchanger and cooler setup from the front and installing new coolers in the back will help a little with overall weight bias.

Cooler location also has a small impact on weight distribution. Although the cooler only weighs a few pounds, removing the heavy factory heat exchanger and cooler setup from the front and installing new coolers in the back will help a little with overall weight bias.

Truck never had factory cooler in it. I did a 5sp to built auto swap on it and basicly reversed the direction of the fan to where they push through the cooler and then built a spacer to give them a little space between the bottom of the bed and the cooler. I wasnt planning on driving it as much as scott is but imo I dont think they will have any issues being mounted there.

school bus may you post a pic or describe the location on where under the bed the cooler is currently mounted?

I got a Derale cooler as well but with a single fan and would also appreciate most efficient mounting ideas.. Thanks bro!

Ive allways located them under the front bumper at an angle mounted to the frame.

I've got one that needs to find a home somewhere on my truck as well. I was thinking about mounting it inside the bed, right behind the cab. Most trucks that I've seen with the cooler in the bed have them at an angle between the cab and floor of the bed. Any reason for this?

Brad Ponci's truck for reference.

Brad1-1.jpg

Brad will sell you those coolers. The truck comes with them though...

Back