Trans popped

RAB 38

I was merging onto a highway from an offramp this afternoon and I was accelerating, probably got to about 60 and all of a sudden boom. No gears what so ever. Got to the shoulder safely and all I had was park. Guessing it is the input shaft.
Pulled the pan and fluid looks fine but there was several very small pieces of metal in the bottom of the pan.

Now I need to figure out if it makes sense to ship this one out to be fixed since it has good parts in it that could be reused or just core it and get a whole new one.

Guess I can't complain, I got 90,000 miles out of it.

Sorry to hear that Rob. But at least you got a bunch of miles out of it.

I say get it rebuilt, see what's still good and reusable, plus get a new input shaft.

That's what I'm leaning towards but it's also a timing issue of having my truck down for a longer period of time. I need to call hts tomorrow and see if they will give me some sort of credit for mine if I just get a new one. Some how I seriously doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sorry to here about the tranny stinks. I am in the process of building my trans and from the looks of all the guy's blowing inputs it looks like that item is a must for the build..shooting for similar power...

Got the trans out tonight and sure enough, the input shaft broke. The end of it is stuck in the converter and you can also see on the end that goes into the pump it was twisted. Probably been that way for quite a while since I haven't raced since spring of 09. The break was not clean it is very jagged which I thought was unusual since the pictures I have seen of others had a clean break.

Now I need to figure out if it's worth going to the bigger shafts. Any opinions on them?

A BIG Shaft is Always better!! LOL

Atleast thats what she said!! lol

Seriously though.... As we've discussed in PM's and hopefully you found out from speaking with Jeff, If the money is there spend the extra so you Never have to doubt it again...

Just my two cents but those with Fat Shaft love them.. Ty (triton) has one of his as does TXAustin... Look in Garmons section, TXAustin did a thread about his after a good bit of miles..

Let me know if I can help you further or if you need to speak to Jeff again...

BTW, you can also call Kyle (Sticky on compd) at 678-634-7411 for tranny questions.. Let you him you've spoke with me and Jeff. He can try to help you as well...

David

Last edited:
Trans got picked up today to head down to garmons for big shaft upgrade and overhaul.

just so you know rob i broke my input last year and broke another stock on this past fall have a opie fat shaft sitting in the garage just need to rebuild my TC which will be on its way to garmon shortly.

Billet inputs are the way to go. I recall the garmon bigger shaft was pretty reasonable.

just so you know rob i broke my input last year and broke another stock on this past fall have a opie fat shaft sitting in the garage just need to rebuild my TC which will be on its way to garmon shortly.

Yeah I think I made the right decision. My hts never did me wrong,but I'm looking forward to the larger shafts and hopefully not breaking it.

Back