Trans service

blackcloudCTD95

I'm due for a trans service I'm going to flush it not drop the pan and replace the filter.

I tried to search for what fluid everyone is using but have say with atf+4 and others say you can switch to merc3 if

If atf4 is a synthetic will any syn fluid work.. like merc sp or merc lv

Atf+4 is stupid expensive but its what your transmission likes. Grit your teeth and buy a couple gallons of it.

If your just doing a service - band adjustment , filter change then just top it off with what you've been using.

Haha I re read it. I've been tempted to try hyguard myself . The freezing temps here discourage me though

If your just doing a service - band adjustment , filter change then just top it off with what you've been using.

Drain and fill doesn't get out all the dirty fluid..

I also read that 47re doesn't like anything other than atf4 there's so much here say out there

Lots of hear-say, yup. Hard to know what to believe. I ran Shell Spirax Trans/Hydraulic in my last rebuild. Went 93,750 miles before OD bearing went out. OD bearing had a total of 320,225 miles on it so I'm pretty sure the oil wasn't the problem! Direct and OD Brake were blue from slipping them but the frictions still had good amount of material and fluid was not burnt. At - 30*c you gotta give it 10 min to warm up, otherwise I didn't have any issues. Switched to JD Low Vis HyGard this time.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Just for my knolage what makes it need atf+4 is it the clutches? I'm pretty sure raybestos red devils can use about anything.

Dodge switched to help with converter shudder. They use to recommend dex 3 and a little bottle of some kind of friction modifier- only from what I've read in the past.

Just for my knolage what makes it need atf+4 is it the clutches? I'm pretty sure raybestos red devils can use about anything.
The fact that Chrysler has licenced that oil so they can charge 3 x its value. ?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

This is what I use. It's pretty awesome for the price.

Case IH HyTrans Ultra

It lowers your stall about 150-200rpm and increases your torque capacity slightly. Plus it's super cheap.

X2

Tractor supply brand Hyd in my 518. Made quite a difference.

What's it's heat handling ability?

I haven't sent any samples out for oil analysis, but temps didn't change at all when I switched. I assumed they would go down since there's less TC slip/oil sheering, but they stayed the same. It's cheap enough that I swap fluid and filer once a year, but I've got around 10,000 miles or pretty good abuse on a ~180-200psi line pressure transmission with a 200rpm lower stall TC.

Never had a single issue. And I love how it drives now. My 8,000lbs truck feels like a 5,500lbs gasser off the line (then obviously more when it spools).

No issues towing either.

Back