Trans. Swap

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
So I have found someone to possibly swap trannies with me but there are a few differences and I want to get my ducks in a row before I have him drive a long ways and possibly do the swap in a weekend.

Mine: 2002 QCSB, nv5600, DHD, dana 80

His:1999 QCLB, 47re, DLD, not sure on the axle

questions are driveshaft length and PCM/ ECM differences ETC. I would like to keep my transfer case (DHD) and him keep his...just want to get a list or parts before so hopefully it can all go smoothly, or would I be better off to just wait and find a Short bed truck to swap with

his rear end may be a 70, and I would like to keep the HD transfer case

Unless you buy the dhd 23 spline input for the t case your stuck with the dld for now

Best bet is go with a manual vb. I did and am way happier that I didn't piss around with the tcm and I believe the ECM has to go I'n yours also. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. But if you just go fmvb it's a piece of cake.

Will the inputs swap from dld to dhd? Ans i dont have the option to gofullmanual hence the swap

They will swap but your 5600 has a 29 spline correct? So essentially you would have a DLD with a dhd input that would only bolt to the 5600. Lol a little backwards to me.

I would have a dhd with q dld input.....i thought they may be the same as far as strength and size, just different splines

I would have a dhd with q dld input.....i thought they may be the same as far as strength and size, just different splines

I ended up with a dhd input In mine. My trans guy told me the difference is in the roller bearings, double or single. Iirc. It's been a while since I swapped everything around. IMO take the dld to make it easy on yourself.

So now i just need driveshaft lengths and whether or not i for sure need both a pcm and ecm and will the 99stuff work andvice versa

So now i just need driveshaft lengths and whether or not i for sure need both a pcm and ecm and will the 99stuff work andvice versa

I don't know if quad cab/ nv5600 trucks are like this but I found out only AFTER my shafts had been change that I didn't need to change a damn thing. Mine was a Regular cab nv4500. At least mock it up before you run off to the driveshaft shop like I did.

If you keep the transfer cases with their respective trannies, you can reuse the front driveshaft. Rears are different due to axle and wheelbase differences. Yours is probably a 1-piece right now, his would be a 2-piece.

Yeah thats what iam thinking, but i need to get the rear shaft lengths before we do it so we can have our own at the time of swap

Just yank motor harness and ECMs, literally takes 20 min. I did a full swap on mine, pedals, steering column, the wiring harness for the engine and ECM. It was a breeze, and functions as if it were an auto from the factory. To get all the mentioned above out of my truck, literally only took about 3 hrs, minus pulling the trans etc. But still easily do-able in a weekend. Specially if you don't want to run a FMVB.

Im nit sure i can go to 99electronics and still have cruise, mine is electronic and not vaccuum actuated like his.....or am i off somewhere

'99 also uses the crank sensor for tach pick up. '01 uses the cam gear. You could swap the cam gear to the '99 for that to work, but the '01 would need a crank with the tone ring on it. Thats a much bigger swap.

So will 99pcm and harness swap, and i can use an 01auto ecm that i have? Or just keep the manual ecm?

Back