Trans upgrades

WyomingDiesel

Hi fellas I am new to the gm world. I personally drive powerstrokes but my wife loves dmaxes so I jsut bought her an 03.
So.. I read nearly everywhere that I need to upgrade the allison after 90 rwhp. My question is what do I need to do to make it hold without buying a fully bult tranny. I was thinking maybe there is a shift kit and then I will get a triple disc converter not sure what brand yet but I am looking to make it hold for now. When funds allow we will go with a built unit. Thanks

best bet is to buil it now. Check with Mike Lovrich of Inglewood Transmissions, be has a "budget" kit that may be up your alley

Shift kit or VB, plus a triple disc TC should hold 500hp. I dunno what your planning to do to it but I doubt it will make more than that.

Oh for my wife 500 hp is plenty dont need it to go to her head:poke: What is the contact information for Inglewood transmission? What valvebody do you guys recommend?

What are you wanting to add power wise? If your just adding a programmer, intake, exhaust; just a VB should be enough IMO.

well I am going with efi live and yes intake and exhaust for now but that is not the end so I want to have the tranny do fairly well.I want about 525 to 550 when done so I dont have to do internals

Mike L is a great guy to work with as well. You will be happy with him and his product.

will a shift kit hold enough to let me run 120hp tune?? A bully dog kit, transgo jr etc.?

On your LB7 ? Bully dog kit is junk and has been disproven. You can run the 120 for a while probably but one of Mike L.'s kits or a full transgo kit will do you. There isn't a Jr. kit for the 5 speed

No jr kit and every description says WILL NOT WORK IN 01-05 5 SPEED haha. Im going to ask around and see what I can find.

Has anyone checked pressures before and after on the bully dog? Sorry but you cant always just feel out a mod like that. If pressures are substantially higher over stock there is an advanatge to it..

The bully dog kit doesn't include the check balls like a transgo kit. not using them allows the adaptive learning of the TCM to overcome the changes.

well you all scared me half to death over this shift kit haha. I bought a ppe kit instead. I may use a combination of the two. Ill let you know how it works

Back