Transfer Case Blues

bobcat67

Kinda new here, don't really post much or reply much but I like this site because all the big power guys seem to be here, anyway last night a buddy was driving my pickup and I was a bit inebriated and wanted to show what the pickup had for balls, anyway 38" tires and 25psi 4wd boosted launch didn't end well once we hit 50mph blew out the center ball in the the front drive shaft and mildly cracked the transfer case, I was just wondering if anyone has put an atlas or gear driven transfer case in place of the NP 271D that is in my pickup now, or does anyone know of a company that builds heavier duty transfer cases than the ones that come with the pickups? I'm putting on a transmission/transfer case drop bracket tomorrow and that should help with the vibration but other than that i doubt it'll help to much. Sorry for the book I wrote, and thank you in advance for any help, Oh and it was done on pavement, yes i now realize how bad of an idea this was

check and see there might be a ring out there for clocking the transfer case and allowing the front drive shaft you be lowered with out having to do a complete trans and transfer case drop.

thank you i'll look into that, 6" lift and 38.5x14.50R20's in an aggressive AT apparently don't like spinning on newly chip sealed road

nah i would think thats like running at a nice stick track. if you can't find a rign you can always talk to hellmans or any of the guys like that and i bet they could make you a ring for the transfer case

so no one has ever tried putting an Atlas II transfer case in their rig?

Back