Transfer case mod for big 48re output

cottondoc

new to site
I'm thinking of going with big input and output shafts on my 2006 48re when I build it. I haven't decided which trans to go with but I'm leaning towards Garmon, Firepunk or Suncoast. What is required to make the big output shaft work with my stock T case? Is it changing the stock T case input shaft with an aftermarket shaft or machining a stock T case input shaft? If it's just changing the T case input, how hard is it to do? I'm thinking about splitting my T case and doing a basic rebuild myself if it's not too difficult for someone with decent basic wrench turning skills. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they make the output shaft a 29 spline to match the manual output shaft. So, otherwise, you would swap a manual t-case input shaft into your auto t-case. It's not a difficult to understand task but the snaps rings are a real SOB. Be prepared to swear a lot.

There are multiple 271/273 inputs available 23-29-31-34 and others, check out eBay. Haven't changed one myself but everyone says it's easy.

A standard 29 spline t-case input (originally for a manual transmission application) is too long for the fat 29 spline output shaft and must be machined down about 0.890" shorter.

Here's a pic of a 29 spline input that has been shortened for use in a 241 t-case behind a fat output shaft 47re automatic transmission.

29cut1.jpg

Last edited:
They are extremely easy to rebuild, get yourself a good set of transmission snap ring pliers, and have at it. Its a good idea to get yourself a new chain too, they are extremely prone to stretching.

Thanks Bigstacks. I'll check out the transmission snap ring pliers and get a good set. I'm also definitely going to replace the chain. Thanks again everybody for the info. I'm going to get my transmission built and try this pretty soon.

Back