Transfer Case NP203/NP205

CumminsPOWER

"I'll go all in."
My buddy just parted out a 76 Ford and... bare with me now, he was told the transfer case could easily go into his 76 Power Wagon. So I'm wondering has anyone used a gear drive transfer case in a 2nd Gen Dodge? Am I better off leaving well enough alone with the 241DHD? I'm currently searching wheeling forums and the likes but figured I'd get the ball rolling here too.

id stick with the dhd they have been know to hold big power. ive always heard the 205s dont hold up to sled pulling in the diesel world

Better with what you have.

As far as going into the Powerwagon, he would have to swap front axles too. And I would assume an adapter from the ford trans to dodge trans, unless it was a divorced case, which I highly doubt since its a '76.

Okay, thanks for the info gents. I guess I just couldn't help but wonder with it being a gear design. I don't have too much knowledge on transfer cases really. :doh:

Due to the design of the gears the have a tendency to "climb" and break the case...

The stock gears will push the input and both output shafts out the front and back of the case. With the Profab kit installed they will break the housing in pieces.

The 203 case is a chain driven case with a planetary for the gear reduction. They are just heavy!!!!!!!!

Some offroad guys put the front portion of the 203 on to a 205 to double the low range. Google "doubler transfer case" for info.

All good info, thanks again guys. Yeah I did come across a site about the doubler. :Cheer:

I know a where a used doubler is. A friend of mine has one that he does use anymore

Back