transfer case promblems

Up N Smoke

got a 01 dodge seems to have a little to much play in the driveline and just started popping out of 4 wheel drive. im sure its probaly the transfer case but it drives smooth no vibrations was wondering what i should look for in the tcase?

looked didnt see any cracks on it . i wondered about the pads but i dont understand the excessive play in it ?

Well if the pads were worn, you may have not been fully engaging the splines, and could have worn the splines.

If I remember right there are about 6 brass pieces that are on the gear with the chain that sometimes fall off. @ the 0 120 &240 degree marks. There are two per degree one inter and one outer. When mine had a lot of play I only had two out of the six.

If I remember right there are about 6 brass pieces that are on the gear with the chain that sometimes fall off. @ the 0 120 &240 degree marks. There are two per degree one inter and one outer. When mine had a lot of play I only had two out of the six.

Think those are part of the synchronizer.

One other thing, I had a tcase apart and a part of the sychronizer spring was laying in the detent area.

Open it up and take a look.

Mine does the same thing in my 96, a 271 with a Ford rear flange will be the answer in a few weeks...

Back